Torchlight Announced for XBox Live Arcade!

Hardcore Discussion

Torchlight Announced for XBox Live Arcade!

Postby Webbstre » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:53 pm

Because I know you'll all get excited:

http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/conten ... rcade.html

Administrator of The Original Runic Games Fansite - News - Forums - Torchlight 1 Mods - Torchlight 2 Mods - Wiki - IRC Chat - HotSpot - and more!
I'm no longer going to be a regular user of skype, but you can find my contact info here.
Webbstre

Re: Torchlight Announced for XBox Live Arcade!

Postby travisbaldree » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:59 pm

Whee! The cat is out of the bag. Well, it wasn't stuffed into it too well to begin with, but it's nice to have an official announce.
I'm pretty happy with how we managed to translate it, and looking forward to playing from my couch.
travisbaldree
Runic Staff

Postby Webbstre » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:03 pm

Congrats Travis! Did you have to port it in-house or were you able to get an outside group to do it?
Administrator of The Original Runic Games Fansite - News - Forums - Torchlight 1 Mods - Torchlight 2 Mods - Wiki - IRC Chat - HotSpot - and more!
I'm no longer going to be a regular user of skype, but you can find my contact info here.
Webbstre

Postby Omnifas » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:04 pm

Congratz on the announcement of Runic Game's Console Debut!
Omnifas

Postby travisbaldree » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:07 pm

Collaboration. Initially we were planning to have WDI port it all ( WDI finished up our mac port ) with guidance and some UI work from us.
But back in October it became clear that just porting it wasn't an option - there was too much significant redesign of controls, interface, etc. required for it to be a proper console game, and so we threw our weight into it. It's been good for us too, to get experience with the platform. Plus we found all sorts of nice optimizations as we crammed it onto the 360 that we now get to fold back into Torchlight 2. Hooray!
travisbaldree
Runic Staff

Postby Webbstre » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:13 pm

Glad to know you got it done! Just curious, but I didn't see if this was going to be exclusive to XBLA, or if you planned to do it again for the PSN :P

Also hi to all the other devs I see peeking at this thread ;)
Webbstre

Postby JBeck » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:14 pm

Hi Webb! :P
Time and resources are realities that force tough decisions regarding our desires. - BECK
JBeck
Runic Staff

Postby travisbaldree » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:16 pm

No PS3 plans to speak of. Microsoft is acting as the publisher on this one. And given how much work it was to get one console game done, I'm a little relieved we didn't attempt both platforms at once anyway :)
travisbaldree
Runic Staff

Postby Webbstre » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:17 pm

Gotcha! I think this means someone needs to update the Torchlight FAQ ;)
Webbstre

Postby Omnifas » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:21 pm

Now that you got a gamepad scheme down, will it transition over to Torchlight 2 PC.
Webbstre wrote:Gotcha! I think this means someone needs to update the Torchlight FAQ ;)

If you haven't already I'll get right on it :P
Omnifas

Postby Webbstre » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:23 pm

Teehee, I meant Runic's FAQ :P
Webbstre

Postby Omnifas » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:29 pm

Once I see the press release(which I assume has a release date) i'll update the RGF one.
Omnifas

Postby travisbaldree » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:31 pm

To head off the speculative questions that will almost certainly arise about the port -

Control is direct - no virtual cursors ever. Combat is a little different - you move forward slightly with melee attacks and all the attack animations are redone to support this. You don't 'target' enemies - you'll get a red highlight for a 'primary' target that is in range, but for melee attacks you hit everything in your damage cone (secondary targets get secondary damage ). Feels natural and does what you expect. Ranged combat is actually in many ways easier - kiting and dodging are significantly more viable with a controller and the autotargeting for ranged attacks works pretty well. 'lobbed' skills mapped to the triggers have a default distance, but you can finesse them for longer or shorter throws by holding the trigger at a given depth. Combat pace feels 'faster' and more maneuverable. If you've played classics like Dark Alliance or Champions of Norrath, you have the general idea. ( but no jumping ) Movement speed is analog - you can move slower by easing on the stick, something you can't do at all on PC.

No skills have been omitted. Some skills have had alterations to their functionality to make them feel better ( i.e. you don't select corpses to summon a Nether Imp - you just cast it and if there's a corpse around, there you go )

Pretty much everything from the PC version is here. We didn't remove any features, with the exception of secondary weapon sets, because there was no way we could find that didn't feel horrible in inventory management. Socketing, enchanting, fishing, the infinite dungeon, item combination, are all represented.

The UI is COMPLETELY overhauled from the ground up. Nothing works the same. All new art and navigation. The concept of item 'slots' is done away with - you just have a number of items you can hold ( 50 - ignores stack counts ). Potions and scrolls stack up to 99. Potions 'auto pick' the best potion to heal you or regen mana. You don't have to think about it or map it. We iterated on the UI a ridiculous amount.

You can have 4 active mapped skills at a time, and a secondary set that you can swap between (using the dpad) for 8 mapped skills. Most of us actually find it easier to use a variety of skills on the console vs. PC, oddly enough.

5) Force feedback is in for quakes, strikes, low health heartbeats, and tugs on the fishing line ;) Feels nice.

Miscellanea - we brought over some goodies from TL2 to the console version. Loading times are much reduced. Better animation blending makes combat snappier ( hard to describe, but you'll probably feel it ). Automaps are brought over from TL2's new automap system ( They are rendered out and much more readable, and icons cleave to the borders of the ring )

3 new armor sets ( one for each class )

Some new random quests for one of the miners in town

Chakawary pet

Download size is nice and small - ~200 MB.
travisbaldree
Runic Staff

Postby PatrickB » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:16 pm

:D And it looks amazing up on a nice big tv!
PatrickB
Runic Staff

Postby Mannam » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:11 am

Will there be a demo?
Mannam

Postby Omnifas » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:21 am

All Live Arcade titles have a Trial.
Omnifas

Postby lithographer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:16 am

thank you
lithographer

Postby ElitesamuraI26 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:17 am

I think the control will be abit more difficult on the 360.
ElitesamuraI26

Postby Webbstre » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:19 am

Sounds like they totally reworked the controls... which actually makes the possibility of WASD controls being an option in the future seem more likely. I'll have to poke a dev about that in the near future.

Oh, and the Press Release is now online:
"TORCHLIGHT" COMING TO XBOX 360

Popular PC dungeon-runner Torchlight comes to Xbox 360 as a part of Microsoft's House Party promotion in Spring 2011

January 6, 2011 - Seattle, WA - Runic Games, Inc. ("Runic Games"), a specialized developer of PC-based entertainment software in the United States, announced today that their critically-acclaimed ARPG Torchlight has been developed for Xbox 360. Published by Microsoft, the console version of Torchlight will be available for download on XBLA beginning Spring 2011 as part of Microsoft's House Party lineup.

"We couldn't be happier to bring Torchlight to Xbox LIVE Arcade," says CEO Max Schaefer. "This is what the fans have been asking for. Torchlight for the Xbox 360 is a new way to experience a great game, and we're thrilled to work with Microsoft to bring it to fruition."

Microsoft announces their full House Party lineup, including Torchlight for the 360, at the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show (CES), which kicks off today in Las Vegas, NV.

Torchlight sales are estimated at over 750,000 worldwide and continue strong. Development of the multi-player sequel, Torchlight II, is underway.

For more information on Torchlight, gamers can visit the official website at Torchlight - Runic Games to view additional game play details, trailers and screenshots.

About Runic Games, Inc.
Runic Games is a developer of PC-based entertainment software, designing games that focus on quality, approachability, and fun.? Runic Games is staffed by a team with experienced members, including leads on "Diablo," "Diablo II," "Diablo II: Lord of Destruction," "Fate," "Hellgate: London" and "Mythos." Torchlight won the GDC Award for Best Debut in 2009. Runic Games, a subsidiary of Perfect World Co., Ltd. (NASDAQ: PWRD), is located in Seattle, Washington, United States.
Webbstre

Postby lithographer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:14 am

I think that this is the greatest announcement in the history of creation...thank you Runic thank you thank you thank you!!!!!
lithographer

Next

Return to Torchlight General Discussion