Torchlight 2 CPU bottleneck.

Community support forum for Torchlight II.

Re: Torchlight 2 CPU bottleneck.

Postby Qurest » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:34 pm

Greetings,

Just regged an account for the sake of posting.

My specs,
Asus 580GTX Matrix platinum.
i7-2600k
Corsair red vengeance 1833 mhz 2x4g
Intel's 500~ ssd 120g
P67-Sabertooth motherboard.

I get 100-120 fps while running idle and when killing 3-5 monsters. But when striking a group of 6+ monsters with two others makes the fps drop an insane amount, It drops down to at least 20-30 which for me is quite... frustrating and is ruining my game experience.
As far as I am concerned the game should run flawless on my rig. I also had the opportunity to test a 690 but with the same results, same good ol' fps drops in fights..

Worth mentioning that Diablo 3 ran smooth with maximum settings and all upped down with this card, Crysis 1&2 ran with highest settings.
World of warcraft with highest settings and everything topped, Titan with highest settings - Even Path of exile ran smooth..

But TL2 is a complete mess, I seriously hope you sort out this matter soon because from what I can see there's people with rigs who could start this game twice times with max settings and run them all at the same and shouldn't experience issues.
I did read through the whole thread and I have faith in Runic games, that's not the issue.. However.. i did get extremely annoyed when Travis pulled out the "It's normal that it drops during heavy fights" comment.
Yeah perhaps it is. But with a rig that stomps on your 'Recommended Settings' 5 times over should not have these problems occurring on them - In fact it shouldn't even give away a single fps.

By all means, It is on your end Runic and it's good that we already established that - The statement you made that i mentioned earlier needs to be taken away for good. It is not we who should beg you as a company to fix our problems when we already double checked the requirements that was needed to run the game, that's all we need to do. If you put out a product that does not work with the options you set them for then the problem is you and not the customer.

Sorry, this might have came out the wrong way, I mean no harm or to be rude(Very late were I am writing this.) - and in no way am i saying that you're not working your asses off to get it to work, I highly appreciate it.(Not a pirate, I bought the game).
It's just annoying to see you respond like that to someone whom has a rig who runs your recommended requirements in circles when it is in fact your issues/problems that made this happen in the first place, not ours.

-Q
Qurest

Postby capa14 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:59 pm

Ok... Tested the THETA "non-steam" versions.

Got the v1.9.5.1 same problem as the Original TL2, even worse sometimes... So updated with the theta patch to 1.11.5.1 turns out the version was a cracked update of a steam version as you have to run Torchlight2_steam.exe, if you run the Torchlight2.exe you'll get a version 1.10.2.2...
Anyway... FPS DROPS IN MID TO LARGE BATTLES in all of them... samething as the Original(bought game), at least on my system...

My Specs:
CPU: Phenom II x 6 1090T Black, 3.2 Ghz http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=640&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=
MOBO: Asus M4A87TD/USB3 http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A87TDUSB3/#specifications
Memory: 4 x 2GB Kingston Hyper-X 1600Mhz
Graphic: AMD XFX Radeon 6970 2GB GDDR5 Core: 880Mhz Memory: 1375
CCC Version: 12.8
Catalyst App Profiles: 12.9 CAP 1
capa14

Postby lastdodobird » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:14 pm

Guys, could anyone confirm that me getting half the framerate performance playing TL2 on max as compared to D3 on max is indeed unexpectedly poor performance? And is similar to the problem a lot of people have been having? Thanks!

I mean... if I've getting slightly better framerates playing Metro 2033 on max as compred to TL2 on max... something's gotta be wrong with that right? :?

lastdodobird wrote:When I play Diablo 3 Act 3 - the siege on the keep - on max settings (all graphics settings enabled and maxed out), my framerate = 41.453fps

When I play TL2 on max settings the very beginning of Torchlight 2, my framerate = 20.279fps

I get better framerates with Metro 2033 on max (DX11 w/ Tesselation, PhysX, max AA and AF) = 21.159fps

:shock:

My laptop specs:

CPU: Intel i7-3610QM @ 2.30GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT640M <<< ("M" means it's a mobile card for laptops. totally different GPU line from the PC GPUs)
Max Resolution: 1366x768
lastdodobird

Postby Insolentius » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:17 pm

capa14 wrote:turns out the version was a cracked update of a steam version as you have to run Torchlight2_steam.exe, if you run the Torchlight2.exe you'll get a version 1.10.2.2...

Steam and non-steam T2 releases are labeled differently. Download the 1.11.5.3 theta update and run the game via Torchlight2.exe. The game will display the version as 1.11.2.3, but it contains all the changes listed in 1.11.5.3. changelog. Running the game via Torchlight2_steam.exe re-introduces the problem of micro-stuttering for me.
Insolentius

Postby lastdodobird » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:53 pm

I solved my fps problems.

I opened up Ogre.log and saw this little bit: "RenderSystem Option: Rendering Device = Monitor-1-Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000"

I figured that isn't right so I went to the Nvidia Control Panel and forced TL2 to use the GT640M instead of the integrated graphics.

Lo and behold, I went from 20fps to a solid 55fps :D

lastdodobird wrote:When I play Diablo 3 Act 3 - the siege on the keep - on max settings (all graphics settings enabled and maxed out), my framerate = 41.453fps

When I play TL2 on max settings the very beginning of Torchlight 2, my framerate = 20.279fps

I get better framerates with Metro 2033 on max (DX11 w/ Tesselation, PhysX, max AA and AF) = 21.159fps

:shock:

My laptop specs:

CPU: Intel i7-3610QM @ 2.30GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT640M <<< ("M" means it's a mobile card for laptops. totally different GPU line from the PC GPUs)
Max Resolution: 1366x768
lastdodobird

Postby Cardenius » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:29 pm

lastdodobird wrote:I solved my fps problems.

I opened up Ogre.log and saw this little bit: "RenderSystem Option: Rendering Device = Monitor-1-Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000"

I figured that isn't right so I went to the Nvidia Control Panel and forced TL2 to use the GT640M instead of the integrated graphics.

Lo and behold, I went from 20fps to a solid 55fps :D

Oh congratulations.
I checked ogre.log too but everything seems to be normal so no solution for me :?
Cardenius

Postby Jedzerro » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:36 am

Oh congratulations.
I checked ogre.log too but everything seems to be normal so no solution for me

Same here. I have Asus k50In, nVidia g102m 512 Mb, Intel core duo 2,2 GHz. I know my Graphics Card is kinda hmm... Weak, but I thought I passed T2 requirements easly. I play on lowest configuration in T2. I have everyghing switched off except Rim Lighting, and Hardwer Skinning. When I'm fighting small packs of mobs this is ok. Like 35 to 60 fps - it depends on Lighting in the dungeon. But massive fights are kinda pain. 10 - 20 fps. Realy uncomfortable. I'll be realy glad if there's any solution - sometime, somewhere...
Jedzerro

Postby axo » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:39 am

I think I got something to help the FPS a bit.

I've read about people trying to change some settings in the local_settings.txt which is actually a good thing but what I have figured out, is that this file gets overwritten every time you start up the game (maybe not all settings but some of them).

So what I did is to change the MAX_PARTICLES : to 1000 instead of 10000. Yes you can even set it to 0 but when you kill an enemy, they just disappear, there's like no animation or whatsoever so yeah, 1000 is good.
I have also set VSYNCH to 1.

The thing about this file is.. to right click on it / properties and check "Read Only" at the bottom, this way, these settings won't change back once you start up the game (note that if you do any change under Settings in the game, it will work until you restart the game. It won't save your settings since the file is Read Only).

Im pretty sure that if we continue to work with that file, we can find a good workaround until Runic release an update/fix.

So far, I've been playing 1hour this morning with absolutely no FPS drop. If I set the MAX_PARTICLES to 10000, I get FPS drop when killing 4-5mobs.

Well that is just my 2 cents.. it might not work for everyone but give it a shot I guess!
axo

Postby JacerX » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:34 am

axo wrote:I think I got something to help the FPS a bit.

I've read about people trying to change some settings in the local_settings.txt which is actually a good thing but what I have figured out, is that this file gets overwritten every time you start up the game (maybe not all settings but some of them).

So what I did is to change the MAX_PARTICLES : to 1000 instead of 10000. Yes you can even set it to 0 but when you kill an enemy, they just disappear, there's like no animation or whatsoever so yeah, 1000 is good.
I have also set VSYNCH to 1.

The thing about this file is.. to right click on it / properties and check "Read Only" at the bottom, this way, these settings won't change back once you start up the game (note that if you do any change under Settings in the game, it will work until you restart the game. It won't save your settings since the file is Read Only).

Im pretty sure that if we continue to work with that file, we can find a good workaround until Runic release an update/fix.

So far, I've been playing 1hour this morning with absolutely no FPS drop. If I set the MAX_PARTICLES to 10000, I get FPS drop when killing 4-5mobs.

Well that is just my 2 cents.. it might not work for everyone but give it a shot I guess!

This actually worked for me, but I found an odd bug or I don't even know if it's a bug since the particles were lowered. When I enter a dungeon like the witherways, my skills do not show up, everything is invisible lol, even breaking pots XD
JacerX

Postby Cardenius » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:02 am

So I finally got myself to beat the first playthrough ( thank god the last boss didn't summon more than 3 adds at a time ). Now I think I'll hang around the mapworks until they fix it (totally love it btw).
Tried the max_particles trick, can't confirm if it really helps as I wasn't checking fps but it felt a little smoother so I'd recommend to everyone with problems to atleast try it :)
Cardenius

Postby Jedzerro » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:29 am

Cardenius wrote:I'd recommend to everyone with problems to atleast try it :)

No change for me. I think I should wait for patchfix. If the fix won't work for me I'll blame my graphics card and I'll throw my notebook through the window. God nVidia g102m sucks.
Jedzerro

Postby capa14 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:58 am

NICE FIGHT! Oh wait.... Oh no the FPS! :(

This is Act III SINGLE PLAYER.

EDIT: BTW This was a screenshot taken when playing the THETA version 1.11.5.3... (i was able to copy my char from the original and make it run on the THETA version)

My Specs:
CPU: Phenom II x 6 1090T Black, 3.2 Ghz http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=640&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=
MOBO: Asus M4A87TD/USB3 http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A87TDUSB3/#specifications
capa14

Postby HiggzZz » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:24 am

Jedzerro wrote:
Cardenius wrote:I'd recommend to everyone with problems to atleast try it :)

No change for me. I think I should wait for patchfix. If the fix won't work for me I'll blame my graphics card and I'll throw my notebook through the window. God nVidia g102m sucks.

When will this patch be released?

loving the game, Hate the fps drops, makes it unplayable at times.

specs:
i7 920
gtx 260
HiggzZz

Postby Jedzerro » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:35 am

HiggzZz wrote:

loving the game, Hate the fps drops, makes it unplayable at times.

Love the game too. I don't know. This topic have 32 pages and The Runic Games guy posted here. To be honest I was to lazy to read whole topic. Maybe there is an information when it's gonna be released.
Jedzerro

Postby Homicide » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:37 am

There was mention in another thread of a patch in the works with a release possibly sometime next week. If i can find it again i will link it, but thats about all been heard atm.

Cheers.
...but when we stop acting civil and start calling people names, we're no longer interacting in the spirit of Runic Games.

Zepheyr ~ 2012
Homicide

Postby KirasiN91 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:42 pm

Early next week, depends on testing results.
KirasiN91

Runic, please improve the performance!

Postby Tiquen » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:42 pm

I posted this in my thread but then i saw a section for this:

Hi,
i purchased the game via pre-order at steam. The problem is (and many other guys have this too..) that my PC is good enough to play this game but i don't have good FPS.
In the city i have about 30 FPS and in fight 25-15. This shouldn't be! Tochlight 2 set every game settings to high and everything is on except Vsync. I tested it with Vsync, nothing happens, still same FPS.
So i and maybe many other guys hope that you improve the performance. Nothing against you or the game!! It's great!

MfG Tiquen

Tell me if you need the msinfo32.nfo, dxdiag or orgre.log (and please tell me how i can give it to you :D)

specs:
Geforce 9800 GT
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (2,6 GHz Dual Core, not the best but should run with it and the game set everything to high)
4gb ram
win 7
Tiquen

Postby cfisher2833 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:37 pm

Just wanted to provide an update:

I tried running the game in 1280*720 windowed, with fraps running and asus suite II running (to monitor CPU usage). I had the game on lighting only for shadows, and low for particle effects. What I said earlier about my CPU not being fully utilized wasn't the case--I was getting up to 90% on CPU core 0, and around 60% on core 1. However, even with these very low settings (I usually play games in 1920*1080 at 60FPS), I still was having the same issues that I did running the game at higher resolutions and with higher settings. I don't understand how that could be the case, but it is.

AMD FX6100@3.8Ghz
GTX560Ti
ASUS M5A97
8Gb Corsair Vengeance 1333Mhz
Seagate Barracuda 1Tb 7200RPM 64Mb cache
cfisher2833

Postby capa14 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:25 pm

cfisher2833 wrote: However, even with these very low settings (I usually play games in 1920*1080 at 60FPS), I still was having the same issues that I did running the game at higher resolutions and with higher settings. I don't understand how that could be the case, but it is.

Thats precisely what we dont understand either. Harder to understand how worse machines can run this better...My guess is that the performance is just too bad already that they dont even notice the FPS dropping :) (have anyone looked at the FPS on these "worse machines"?)

Anyway...Clearly something wrong with the game that has to be a fix...

Any news DEVS, have you got the test machine with the Phenom already? We are anxious here :(

My Specs:
capa14

Postby Zepheyr » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:30 pm

Tried to play my 2h-engineer online today and just died over and over and over again. In any game where there was more than just one other person, the fps drops would get so bad I'd die before I even saw my health bubble drop. Running up to mob packs with embermages following me was especially hilarious. The minute they started firing all those particle-heavy spells I was sure to die just a moment later.
Zepheyr

PreviousNext

Return to Torchlight II Support