LAN game issues

Community support forum for Torchlight II.

LAN game issues

Postby Wyzak » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:21 am

Hi guys,

This is a copy of viewtopic.php?f=30&t=36495 which is located in the wrong board.

We started out LAN yesterday on version x.1 and had lots of issues getting up to 6 players in a LAN game. In most cases anybody could connect to the host as long as they were the first person to connect. As soon as the server has a client, the remaining clients can't seam to get through.

We upgraded to version x.3 and still encountered some issues with this on a few machines.

It appeared to help when we insured that all of us had Internet access as well as LAN access, and then hosted the games over LAN.

Any ideas?

We lost about two hours of the LAN getting everybody on the same version and in the same game due to the patch that was released as the LAN started and the issues above. The Internet connection at the venue was also extremely slow and didn't help much to download the patches.

All in all though it was massive success, and we managed to get all 11 players in two separate games! Both of the groups managed to complete act I before the end of the evening.

The other issue that we had was if during the LAN game the Internet cable happen to come loose the game would suddenly stutter until the cable is restored. Why would a Internet connection affect LAN games in this way?
Wyzak

Re: LAN game issues

Postby ericneo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:05 pm

LAN means local area network. It involves connecting devices to each other directly through TCP/IP without internet access.

To get the best performance:

1) I'd recommend you put steam into offline mode and disconnect any PC connected to the router so that you don't get lag from steam checking for online activity.

2) If you are LAN'ning through a switch manually assign your IP addresses on the 10/8 network. If you're only using a home router then leave it on auto.
The reason you would want to manually set the IPs on a switch is because it will reduce layer and packet traffic meaning better ping.
I'd recommend setting the IP's as follows:
Player 1 to 10.0.0.1 and subnet 255.0.0.0
Player 2 to 10.0.0.2 and subnet 255.0.0.0
Player 3 to 10.0.0.3 and subnet 255.0.0.0
Player 4 to 10.0.0.4 and subnet 255.0.0.0
Player 5 to 10.0.0.5 and subnet 255.0.0.0
Player 6 to 10.0.0.6 and subnet 255.0.0.0
You get the idea, also remember to set it back to auto when your done LAN'ning

3) Read viewtopic.php?f=54&t=34327 mainly this "Torchlight uses UDP from a "random" OS-assigned port. If you need to set it to a specific port, you can change the UDPORT :0 line in your local_settings.txt file and set it to a port of your choosing. Just make sure it's over 1024. If you're playing with multiple people on the same LAN, and port forwarding to that port, make sure you choose different ports."

3a) Since you're LAN'ning you don't need to port forward or edit NAT settings because you're not a 24/7 server that needs open ports.

3b) Best to give each person their own port if you have troubles I usually use ports from 6000-7000 range. IE
Player 1 6101
Player 2 6102
Player 3 6103
Player 4 6104
Player 5 6105
Player 6 6106

4) With Torchlight 2's current NAT bug if you at first cannot connect exit change the port in the local_settings.txt and try again. What happens is this bug throws an error and an error prevention so if the error triggers when you try to join a game then any tries after the first failure will be prevented.

5) Make sure you're using the right cable types for the device cate5e,cate6 for gigabit cate5 for megabit switches and if you can make sure your cables are straight through not crossover if you're using a switch. Most switches auto check and fix this now days but it does add to the ping.

6) If you're using the home router for internet then it will auto assign IP addresses so when the cables get pulled out you lose packet data and your IP address, no IP no data packets. So because of TCP & Frames the devices flood the network with packets looking for the lost IP causing others to lag. Usually this isn't a problem on a big switch but it might be on a home router.

That's about all I can think of.
ericneo

Postby Wyzak » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:55 pm

1) I'd recommend you put steam into offline mode and disconnect any PC connected to the router so that you don't get lag from steam checking for online activity.

An offline capable game ran in an offline mode should not stutter due to the steam checking for online activity. We were playing in LAN mode. We were not using Hamachi or VPN or anything to that effect. We tried Steam in offline mode at first but it would not allow more than one player to connect to a server at once.

2) If you are LAN'ning through a switch manually assign your IP addresses on the 10/8 network.
No comment.

3) Read viewtopic.php?f=54&t=34327 mainly this "Torchlight uses UDP from a "random" OS-assigned port. If you need to set it to a specific port, you can change the UDPORT :0 line in your local_settings.txt file and set it to a port of your choosing. Just make sure it's over 1024. If you're playing with multiple people on the same LAN, and port forwarding to that port, make sure you choose different ports."
We did not change UDPORT at all, so the default should have worked for us.

3a) Since you're LAN'ning you don't need to port forward or edit NAT settings because you're not a 24/7 server that needs open ports.
Not relevant.

3b) Best to give each person their own port if you have troubles I usually use ports from 6000-7000 range. IE
The game should take care of this itself. Unless you specifically mess around with ports, which we didn't.

4) With Torchlight 2's current NAT bug if you at first cannot connect exit change the port in the local_settings.txt and try again. What happens is this bug throws an error and an error prevention so if the error triggers when you try to join a game then any tries after the first failure will be prevented.
I was not aware of a NAT bug, I am now. Thanks.

5) Make sure you're using the right cable types for the device cate5e,cate6 for gigabit cate5 for megabit switches and if you can make sure your cables are straight through not crossover if you're using a switch. Most switches auto check and fix this now days but it does add to the ping.
This was not the problem.

6) If you're using the home router for internet then it will auto assign IP addresses so when the cables get pulled out you lose packet data and your IP address, no IP no data packets. So because of TCP & Frames the devices flood the network with packets looking for the lost IP causing others to lag. Usually this isn't a problem on a big switch but it might be on a home router.
Not relevant, we were using static IPs.

All of your suggestions tend towards our local network which was not the problem. We have been LANing since the days of coaxial cables. There are obviously still some issues in Torchlight II with regards to LAN play which need to be addressed. I would like to highlight them to the developers so that they can have a look at them and fix them.
Wyzak

Postby PandaGeist » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:10 pm

Im also having problems when connected to lan. When I play with my wife we randomly see each other teleport or some times mobs come back from the dead then die again... there is no reason we should be lagging over lan
PandaGeist

Postby ericneo » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:40 pm

Wyzak wrote:

An offline capable game ran in an offline mode should not stutter due to the steam checking for online activity. We were playing in LAN mode. We were not using Hamachi or VPN or anything to that effect. We tried Steam in offline mode at first but it would not allow more than one player to connect to a server at once.

It will stutter if the game is programmed to "on wait" instead of "in-conjunction" because then the program waits for the check to complete before continues causing stutter spikes. Black ops and blacklight: retribution suffered from this on launch with blacklight doing a server ping on wait causing all servers to return a max ping.

ericneo wrote:3) Read viewtopic.php?f=54&t=34327 mainly this "Torchlight uses UDP from a "random" OS-assigned port. If you need to set it to a specific port, you can change the UDPORT :0 line in your local_settings.txt file and set it to a port of your choosing. Just make sure it's over 1024. If you're playing with multiple people on the same LAN, and port forwarding to that port, make sure you choose different ports."
Wyzak wrote:We did not change UDPORT at all, so the default should have worked for us.

I mentioned this specifically because it causes trouble joining games and it was the problem me and my friends ran into. You are right usually the default should work but for me and my friends it didn't, this fixed the joining problems for us.

Another thing you can check is if the cables/switch port are damaged causing lost packets, you could use a packet/line checker to see how many packets are getting lost on the network. Lost packets and resent packets cause rubber banding and lag spikes. You could check via windows performance logs (creating a monitor for it) or download something like paessler's packet loss test.

Wyzak wrote:All of your suggestions tend towards our local network which was not the problem. We have been LANing since the days of coaxial cables. There are obviously still some issues in Torchlight II with regards to LAN play which need to be addressed. I would like to highlight them to the developers so that they can have a look at them and fix them.

Well just running through what I thought might help while the Devs workout the network problems. If the post helps someone woot, if not oh well I tried.
ericneo

Postby FreeKings » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:07 pm

Hi, not sure if related but adding an inbound exception for Torchlight II in Window's firewall seemed to help me and my bro with lag and and disconnection issues over LAN. This is in addition to the outbound exception which is normally added by Windows after the "Allow through firewall" dialogue normally asked by Windows.
FreeKings

Postby alfgago » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:08 am

Doesn't help, still getting disconnected.... 2 months since this was posted and still no fix?
alfgago

Postby Wyzak » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:24 am

alfgago wrote:Doesn't help, still getting disconnected.... 2 months since this was posted and still no fix?

Nope, we are still experiencing these issues almost every time we play. Person 1 hosts, 2 can join, but 3 can't. Person 2 hosts, 1 can join but 3 can't. Person 3 hosts, both can join... weird.

I've made a separate posting as well, but nobody has even replied there.

A new issue as well is that we are now getting crashes to the desktop when visiting the town. Not always, but often enough to be annoying.
Wyzak

Postby Wyzak » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:06 am

Some logs can be found here, I hope they help: viewtopic.php?p=414571#p414571
Wyzak

Return to Torchlight II Support