A year later, still experiencing the same framerate drops.

Community support forum for Torchlight II.

A year later, still experiencing the same framerate drops.

Postby KirasiN91 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:11 pm

Hi there, remember me? 11 months ago I created this thread: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=33879

I haven't played torchlight 2 much since then, mostly because it was unplayable on the laptop specified on that thread, I was hoping you would fix the issue, yet after months of trying out fixes and random crap, I finally gave up.
Now I am back at my home, where I game on my i5 760 at 3.3GHz, 8GB Ram, GTX 660 PC, which is FAR better than the Dell laptop I first tried the game on. Thinking that after a year these issues would have been resolved, I jumped into the game, 60 FPS! Yet a few moments later, bam, I fought a big group of enemies and my FPS dropped from 60 to 25..

This is honestly ridiculous and you should be ashamed, you had a year to figure this out, there are far more demanding games that I can run on Max with this PC, yet I can't play this game without getting migrains from the sudden FPS drops.
Torchlight 2 was one of the few games that I was really, really excited about, mostly due to the fact that Diablo 3 was a total disappointment, it's a pity that this had to happen.
KirasiN91

Re: A year later, still experiencing the same framerate drop

Postby BrianW » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:00 pm

Are you running the Steam version? If so, can you try downloading the demo from torchlight2game.com and see if that makes a difference? Thanks!
Runic Games Community Manager :: Mr. Nice Guy

Need help? Send a PM or contact customer support. You can also check our knowledgebase for solutions to common issues.
BrianW
Runic Staff

Postby KirasiN91 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:48 pm

Hey Brian, pretty sure I tried that last year, going to try it again.
KirasiN91

Postby KirasiN91 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:41 am

Just tried, same stuff, I started a new character, at the first area I went to that champion mob next to a burning building, was surrounded by 10~ rats, started hitting and my FPS dropped to 30.

GPU keeps sitting at 20%, CPU spikes from 60% to 100% on a single core.
KirasiN91

Postby Diabolis » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:20 pm

This game is optimized for single core PCs. There is nothing we can do about it, the game only runs well on that kind of computers. I still don't know why this game is optimized in that way, because nowadays almost everybody uses (at least) a dual-core computer. Runic released 1 or 2 optimization patches, but the fps drops still occurs (less, but it's still happening and it's noticeable). I don't think this game will be 100% optimized at this point, so the only we can do is to play the game trying to ignore these fps drops and to hope that Runic Games won't commit this stupidty again (I mean, optimizing a game for single core machines).

It's sad, because Torchlight 2 is a great game, but it's a great game heavily stained by this issue, making it not so great. A big mistake, Runic. A big, big mistake.
Diabolis

Postby KirasiN91 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:15 pm

Diabolis wrote:This game is optimized for single core PCs. There is nothing we can do about it, the game only runs well on that kind of computers. I still don't know why this game is optimized in that way, because nowadays almost everybody uses (at least) a dual-core computer. Runic released 1 or 2 optimization patches, but the fps drops still occurs (less, but it's still happening and it's noticeable). I don't think this game will be 100% optimized at this point, so the only we can do is to play the game trying to ignore these fps drops and to hope that Runic Games won't commit this stupidty again (I mean, optimizing a game for single core machines).

It's sad, because Torchlight 2 is a great game, but it's a great game heavily stained by this issue, making it not so great. A big mistake, Runic. A big, big mistake.

Yea, even if you look at the steam hardware survey stats, only 4.56% of the users still have single core systems.
They said "that's not the issue, the game barely needs 1.4GHz on a single core to run", yet it's been a year and they still haven't found that elusive issue that is totally not the CPU.
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?platform=pc
KirasiN91

Postby Zepheyr » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:08 am

How interesting that I find this thread after returning to the game from a 10 month hiatus caused by the same issues in that thread.

This framerate drop issue was the catalyst for my eventual retirement of the game, not long after it came out actually. Coming back to the threads to find that the framerate drop problem still has not been addressed peeves me on a number of levels. I have to assume they tried and just couldn't figure out how to make the game run well. *shrug* Still, it's disappointing.
Zepheyr

Postby Cardenius » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:13 am

Zepheyr wrote:How interesting that I find this thread after returning to the game from a 10 month hiatus caused by the same issues in that thread.

This framerate drop issue was the catalyst for my eventual retirement of the game, not long after it came out actually. Coming back to the threads to find that the framerate drop problem still has not been addressed peeves me on a number of levels. I have to assume they tried and just couldn't figure out how to make the game run well. *shrug* Still, it's disappointing.

Hah, same here.
"Oh hey, what about TL2, I should check their forums for some patch notes, they surely fixed the terrible framerate so maybe I can play now?"
First page of the support forums - THIS THREAD
Oh well, guess I'll wait another year or two
Cardenius

Postby capa14 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:46 am

Cardenius wrote:
Zepheyr wrote:How interesting that I find this thread after returning to the game from a 10 month hiatus caused by the same issues in that thread.

Hah, same here.
"Oh hey, what about TL2, I should check their forums for some patch notes, they surely fixed the terrible framerate so maybe I can play now?"

Yeah the drops driven me away from the game too, Zepheyr.

LOL Had the same idea Cardenius...

Unfortunately the issue persists... maybe when I buy another MOBO, so I can have another processor, i will be able to play it smoothly (Like it already should have been running)..
Again.. my PC is not that bad(even less for this game) check my signature
"Battles that could have been memorable, turned into our worst nightmare in stop motion" - CAPA
ASUS M4A87TD; AMD Phenom II x 6 1090T Black 3.2 Ghz ; AMD XFX Radeon 6970 2GB GDDR5 880 Mhz/1375 Mhz; 4 x 2GB Kingston Hyper-X 1600Mhz
capa14

Postby Serkevan » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:42 pm

It's kinda strange, because most people I know, with diverse rigs, don't suffer this problem (one of them playing on an IntelHD graphics card, for example). The probably means it's a problem not only related to the optimization of the game, but might have something to do with hardware, besides raw power I mean. Just a wild guess, of course. Shame they couldn't pin it down.
Serkevan

Postby BrianW » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:06 pm

In a lot of cases, what we've found is that many people who have run into this issue are using factory-overclocked video cards. Many don't even know they have an overclocked card, which adds to the confusion. Have you tried resetting your clock speed back to the recommended spec for your GPU?
Runic Games Community Manager :: Mr. Nice Guy

Need help? Send a PM or contact customer support. You can also check our knowledgebase for solutions to common issues.
BrianW
Runic Staff

Postby Themisseble » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:46 am

KirasiN91 wrote:Hi there, remember me? 11 months ago I created this thread: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=33879

I haven't played torchlight 2 much since then, mostly because it was unplayable on the laptop specified on that thread, I was hoping you would fix the issue, yet after months of trying out fixes and random crap, I finally gave up.
Now I am back at my home, where I game on my i5 760 at 3.3GHz, 8GB Ram, GTX 660 PC, which is FAR better than the Dell laptop I first tried the game on. Thinking that after a year these issues would have been resolved, I jumped into the game, 60 FPS! Yet a few moments later, bam, I fought a big group of enemies and my FPS dropped from 60 to 25..

This is honestly ridiculous and you should be ashamed, you had a year to figure this out, there are far more demanding games that I can run on Max with this PC, yet I can't play this game without getting migrains from the sudden FPS drops.
Torchlight 2 was one of the few games that I was really, really excited about, mostly due to the fact that Diablo 3 was a total disappointment, it's a pity that this had to happen.

Overclock you CPU. Then should work....
This game is no optimized... on my older CPU it used 2 cores 80-100%--- On my new CPU it use only 1 core still better FPS... On some systems TLII use more cores.
Please optimize engine to use at least 2-4 cores...
Themisseble

Postby johnactor » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:35 pm

Same problem here big group of enemies and my FPS drops to 40 which is highly annoying, happens mostly outdoors were there are weather effects present etc..my CPU is also spiking from 60% to 100% on a single core. Perhaps the devs should look at offloading more stuff to the GPU. I know that amd cpu's are not the best at single core games but based on the system requirements i should still not be having these issues.

specs

AMD Phenom II X4 955 at 3.6
4gig ram
Radeon HD 6850
Windows 7 64
johnactor

Postby Themisseble » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:33 am

bad optimization... U have phenom x4 BE? if you do then try to overclock your CPU NB.
This game has so poor optimization ...
it utilize 1 core - but i have playable framerates
LAn - huge lags
Internet - huge lags
I uninstalled this game ... dont want to waste my time....
Themisseble

Postby D2Hans » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:57 am

I hardly ever recommend to overclock a computer unless you have invested into the components for overclocking.

Overclocking causes more wear and tear on on the computer and could possibly also void any warranties that you may have. Since not all components are designed to be overclocked

40 fps is not that bad and the flow is still quite good.
"Six... one, six... the nuuuumber ooof the beeeaaast!"
D2Hans

Postby Rednecksith » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:09 pm

Cardenius wrote:

Hah, same here.

Same here. Reinstalled yesterday thinking, "Surely they must have gotten this issue figured out by now!"

Nope! Just swept under the rug & forgotten about. Extremely ticked off about that, and in all honesty I doubt I'll ever purchase another game from Runic. Diablo 3, Drox Operative, Titan Quest, Marvel Heroes, Path of Exile, and every other ARPG I own runs fine. MH gets slowdown, but only when there's 4-5 supervillains & as many heroes spamming flashy abilities everywhere, and even then it's still playable. Torchlight 2? Anything other than a small battle drops me down into the 20's, and boss fights are nigh unplayable. Multiplayer isn't even possible for me.

Very disappointed. I expected a lot better from Runic.
Rednecksith

Postby Rednecksith » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:54 pm

Screw this. I (and others) have waited over a year, and we want this FIXED. Bumping.
Rednecksith

Postby Serkevan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:31 am

It would be nice to know the specs and the config you are running. In my experience, when people with the same rig get wildly different results (hint: TL2 runs on an Intel card, bar Multiplayer with tons of shit going on), it is because someone knows jack about computer maintenance and not because of the game. (Same software, different results? Hardware is different).
Serkevan

Postby mileykev » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:42 am

Still not fixed. Disgusting. Will never buy a game from these guys again.
mileykev

Postby crayonshinobi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:34 pm

Like just about everyone else in this thread, I came here in the futile hope that after a year long hiatus there might be some patch that fixed the fps problem.

I guess I'll check back in another year.
crayonshinobi

Next

Return to Torchlight II Support