Is it possible to change my character's name?

Hardcore Discussion

Is it possible to change my character's name?

Postby CCCenturion » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:21 am

Kind of tired of my Destroyer's name; I could have done much better. At this point I don't feel like rebuilding yet, so does anyone know of a mod or character editor that would let me rename him?
Paladin Class: discussion thread, download page
Shared Animations Library: discussion thread, download page
CCCenturion

Re: Is it possible to change my character's name?

Postby Redvex » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:00 am

Hex Editing maybe?
Redvex

Postby akirhol » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:07 am

Redvex wrote:Hex Editing maybe?

Yes, you can edit the .SVT file associated with your save file to edit your name. Can't go into detail about what offsets you may find it at or how it can be properly edited as I haven't done it myself, but it should be fairly straight forward if you are familiar with hex editing. If you can find the thread about removing the cheater flag, they discuss renaming in there via hexing.
akirhol

Postby zbvif » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:24 am

Char name is at about 100 bytes into the file. In unicode, so every other byte in the name is 00, but it should be obvious
Using my favourite free hexeditor it is easy to find
http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm#download
No need to install, just extract and run
always take a copy 1st though.
zbvif

Postby CCCenturion » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:54 pm

In case anyone is wondering, I did try it out, and changing a character's name is very easy to do with a hex editor. (I had never used one before, downloaded and tried out Hex Editor Neo, and found it extremely easy to do). A couple of points are worth mentioning:

- The new name must have exactly the same number of characters (or fewer, if you just include spaces at the end) for this to work.
- You can also change your character's class, although I don't know if it's possible to change an Alchy or Destro to a Vanq (going from 9 to 10 characters would violate rule #1 above). I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to switch from a Vanq to either of the boys.
- You can also change tons of other details on your character, but I didn't play around with that since it would be cheating.
- MOST IMPORTANTLY: for some reason when I changed my character's name all the items in his stash had disappeared, but the items in his backpack were still there. Make sure to back up your character before attempting a name change! (Luckily, I did.)
CCCenturion

Postby arolas » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:41 pm

what is the file u need to edit? and where is it? im trying to get back some items i deleted accidentally.. and wanna see if this will allow me to do it.
arolas

Postby CCCenturion » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:05 am

arolas wrote:what is the file u need to edit? and where is it? im trying to get back some items i deleted accidentally.. and wanna see if this will allow me to do it.

I don't think this would work for recovering items, but go ahead and take a shot.

Your character files are in AppData/roaming/runic games/torchlight/save. (Or in case your path is different, "save" is in the same folder that "mods" is in.) They are named 0.svt, 1.svt, 2.svt, etc. If you're not sure which one is the character you want, you can open the .svt files with a hex editor and find the character name about 100 characters in. Also, you can rename the .svt files without any problems. So if you have a character named Arolas saved in 0.svt, you can change the file name to Arolas.svt and it will still work.

Again, make sure you back up your .svt file before you try editing it!
CCCenturion

Return to Torchlight General Discussion