Heal all : learn or give to pet ?

Hardcore Discussion

Heal all : learn or give to pet ?

Postby DSub » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:37 am

Hi there,

I just found a "Heal all lv7" spell, do you think I better learn it or give it to my pet ?
DSub

Re: Heal all : learn or give to pet ?

Postby Webbstre » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:38 am

Definitely Pet. It keeps them from running away too much :P
Administrator of The Original Runic Games Fansite - News - Forums - Torchlight 1 Mods - Torchlight 2 Mods - Wiki - IRC Chat - HotSpot - and more!
I'm no longer going to be a regular user of skype, but you can find my contact info here.
Webbstre

Postby Seph79 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:41 am

I was going to jump the gun and say " Dont give it to your pet, they don't increase spell levels" Then I saw you mentioned it was a lvl 7. Definately dump it on your pet!
If this were real life, I'd be dead....
Seph79

Postby Mivo » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:43 am

My pet does "heal all", too. A juicy big heal every 30 seconds is quite nice. :)
Mivo

Postby DSub » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:03 am

Thanks !

You got me thinking : I will gve it to pet, and set him to passive by default, and set agressive only when I want to.

Would it be good to have shift+click (left or right, I don't remember which is already taken) enemy have the pet attack said enemy when in passive or defensive ?
DSub

Postby Marijuana » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:16 am

In a quick paced game like this where you have to constantly run around (by clicking), it wouldn't be very versatile to try to shit-right click every monster whilst trying to fight for yourself and run around at the same time.
Marijuana

Postby kybarsfang » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:17 am

I play a Lore-based Alchemist, so I chose to have both my pet and I learn the spell. it's handy with as many minions as I have running around.
"Modder" =/= "Cheater"
"Modder" > "Cheater"

The difference between constructive criticism and whining is the ability to provide a realistic solution.

Felicia Day plays Torchlight!
kybarsfang

Postby AndrewN » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:18 am

Pet.

There is a heal self spell which you could use on yourself but you should be too busy fighting to cast heal yourself, let your wingman do it.
AndrewN

Postby Avariel » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:33 am

I tried to put Heal All in my pet ... But it seem he don't use it !
I don't understand ... Do someone have n answere ?
Avariel

Postby AndrewN » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:41 am

Avariel wrote:I tried to put Heal All in my pet ... But it seem he don't use it !
I don't understand ... Do someone have n answere ?

What setting have you put your pet into? In my case he is on the default setting and he just casts it, its not based on how injured you are, my pet will cast it when I am at full health. So if you have switched the pet to another aggressiveness setting then he might be doing something else.

I am not saying this is the answer, its just a suggestion, as I said it just works for me.
AndrewN

Postby syltman » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:45 am

I learned heal all for myself since I am 100% only summoning pets.
syltman

Postby Avariel » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:46 am

Maybe he don't use it because I have the same spell at samelvl on myself ?
Could it be ?
Avariel

Postby Allov » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:05 pm

It would be nice if we could tell him to cast only when someone is hurt in the party.
Allov

Postby Glaice » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:32 pm

Learn and try to find one for your pet too, as I did.
Dungeon Crawler - Extends the length of random dungeons and makes maps larger.
Glaice

Postby Sleepwalker » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:56 pm

Mivo wrote:My pet does "heal all", too. A juicy big heal every 30 seconds is quite nice. :)

I find it weird that you wrote that because my pet is only healing when its not in combat.... with 100 % health its healing all the time, but when its health is low the message (that my pet needs healing) drives me crazy because it refuses to heal when its needed.

Imho Runic should change that so that the pet doesnt always heal when its on 100 % health anyways... burning mana.
Sleepwalker

Postby Umbra » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:00 pm

Wait, level SEVEN?
How the.. I thought spells only went up to VI (Six)?

Also, Heal All is best left to yourself, because your minions count as SUB-Minions (Your pet won't heal them, only himself and you.)
Umbra

Postby clavarnway » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:35 pm

My experience based on playing Alchemist to level 47 so far:

Don't use Heal All, on your character or your pet.

1.) It takes a spell slot. You only have 4 on your character. Would you rather heal the pets you have, or make more of them? I would rather make more.

2.) It's not that big a deal if summons die - they are easy to resummon, and as a pure Summoner, it's not like you will be doing much else, right?

3.) When used on the pet, it invokes a 30 second cooldown. I use Heal Self on the pet instead - it gives it a 8 second cooldown, and the only reason I like that is because I'm annoyed when the pet runs away.

4.) As mentioned above, the pet version of Heal All only heals the pet and his minions (if he made any...for example Skeletal Archers)

So in my opinion I would sell that spell and go buy more real summon spells. :)
clavarnway

Postby sssteve72 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:20 pm

I'd dupe it a million times and sell it on E-bay for $100 a pop.
sssteve72

Postby Buio » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:33 pm

kybarsfang wrote:I play a Lore-based Alchemist, so I chose to have both my pet and I learn the spell. it's handy with as many minions as I have running around.

As a passive "summoner" Alchemist I'd go for first on your own, then on pet (if the pet has a summon, which I suggest the skeleton or blood skeleton). Heal self is faster and better for the pet I'd guess.

I played a passive summoner and it was great fun (until he died as lvl 21 on very hard hardcore). Very active skill and pet/minion management. I had imps/golem/skeletons (one from pet, one from me). Had Thorns on right-click, as I did very little combat myself. Through boosting pet/minions with armor parts and skills, they got pretty darn good. I got charged to death by goblin pet-hounds, which was partly due to me having sacrificed armor value for pet/minion stat-boosting armor parts. Next one I do, I'll not compromise myself as much.

Edit: clavarnway comments above are also true, but I guess he played somewhat differently. My tactic was to see how far I could take pets and not letting them die as priority. I had 2 summons, heal and utility spell in my slots. I only like skeleton and zombies as personal spell-summons, the sword is so short duration even though it does great damage.
Buio

Postby clavarnway » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:48 pm

Buio wrote:
kybarsfang wrote:Edit: clavarnway comments above are also true, but I guess he played somewhat differently. My tactic was to see how far I could take pets and not letting them die as priority. I had 2 summons, heal and utility spell in my slots. I only like skeleton and zombies as personal spell-summons, the sword is so short duration even though it does great damage.

I tried that for awhile, but I became frustrated with the inability to know the health of my pets - a simple UI change that allowed that would make it far easier. So I just said "screw it" and decided to embrace their disposable nature :D
clavarnway

Next

Return to Torchlight General Discussion