Creating an MMO version of Torchlight 2

Forum for random topics.

Creating an MMO version of Torchlight 2

Postby Henrik » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:58 am

Greetings!

We’re a team of two developers that some of you might recognize from before. We previously worked on a project that set out to recreate the entire Torchlight client from scratch. Runic approved it and receiving their blessing ment a lot to us. You can read more about that project in the original topic.

We now reach out to Runic and the community again to announce our new project. We’re creating an MMO version of Torchlight 2. We got inspired by the Torchlight Multiplayer project. We’ve been working on it for about a year. We started by recreating the Torchlight 2 client and then spent the majority of the time creating a server for it. The server architecture has been stressed and proven to support a great amount of players.

We would like to know if there is any demand for such a project. We’re especially interested in knowing what Runic thinks about it and if they will approve the further progress of this project. We have great respect for Runic and very much enjoyed both of their games and this is our way to give back to the community and keep this fantastic title alive.

By the fans for the fans.

Pre-alpha Footage:

http://youtu.be/a9p3WWjWwn0

Pre-alpha Screenshots:

Image Image
Image Image
Henrik

Re: Creating an MMO version of Torchlight 2

Postby Omnifas » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:02 pm

From what I read/saw in the pre-alpha video, you have found some way to create a server-client multiplayer for TL2. If that's the case, there is plenty of interest/demand for such a project. Although I think the interest is in the form of a lobby based system over a Persistent World.
Omnifas

Postby Phanjam » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:40 pm

Posting to monitor thread. Amazing work guys!
TorchModders
A community and resource hub for Torchlight modders.
Torchmodders: Home | Forums | Wiki || Vanilla Legit Gamers (VLG): VLG List
Phanjam

Postby Zidders » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:51 pm

Have fun with that.
Zidders

Postby Taran » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:44 pm

I would play something like that. I love tl2 and it would be awesome to have a lobby like area(kind of like phantasy star online did) or even big open worlds where you could go where ever.
In every person there are 2 dogs fighting...1 Good and 1 Evil. The one that wins is the one you feed the most.
Torchlight 2 Syenergies Mod forum / http://forums.synergiesmod.com/index.php
Taran

Postby Gomer » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:30 am

I'm the second developer on this project and I'm glad to see that there is interest for this community project. It'll be our pleasure to share our progress and to have everyone help with testing and tips.

We got the go-ahead from Marsh for our previous project.
Marsh wrote:The only thing our license agreement says is you can't make money off of it. Other then that you are welcome to use all our assets for whatever you like.

Love to see it when it's finished!
Last edited by Gomer on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Torchlight II - MMO Project
http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57518&start=20#p487884

Do not disappoint me when we meet in battle.
Gomer

Postby Phanjam » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:17 am

Yes I think there would be lots of interest. Personally I believe it will encourage a more active online playing community among the casual gamers like me.

I think how Runic Games envisioned and implemented the multiplayer Torchlight game is excellent, but I also think the lack of online coordination tools makes it too difficult to set-up games among online-only friends (people you only know from online, as opposed to people you can call on the phone or skype with to set up a game). I know I end up playing in SP mode because of this.

I also think, if there were Vanilla-only servers for a MMO Torchlight, this would appeal a lot to all those VLGers who (I think) generally avoid MP.
TorchModders
Phanjam

Postby Henrik » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:21 am

In this update we've finished working on a parser that imports levelsets layouts from GUTS to our client. We're then using the imported data to create our navigation mesh to use as server-side collision checks.

Screenshots:

Image Image

Fullsize Screenshots:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ma30iz3pprxl4pr/2_1.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/luri4twytcun83i/2_2.jpg
Henrik

Postby Henrik » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:50 pm

Omnifas wrote:From what I read/saw in the pre-alpha video, you have found some way to create a server-client multiplayer for TL2. If that's the case, there is plenty of interest/demand for such a project. Although I think the interest is in the form of a lobby based system over a Persistent World.

You're correct in that we've created a server and client relation, but we're not using the original Torchlight 2 client, we've coded a new one. Our current focus is a persistent world. Out of interest, could you elaborate on how a lobby based system could be done?
Henrik

Postby Phanjam » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:37 pm

Omnifas wrote:Although I think the interest is in the form of a lobby based system over a Persistent World.

Henrik wrote:Our current focus is a persistent world. Out of interest, could you elaborate on how a lobby based system could be done?

(exposing total ignorance with regard to game design) I always thought a lobby was a standard feature of any MMO, like a jump-off place, and that it could co-exist with a "persistent world" game :oops: ...
TorchModders
Phanjam

Postby Henrik » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:40 pm

Phanjam wrote:(exposing total ignorance with regard to game design) I always thought a lobby was a standard feature of any MMO, like a jump-off place, and that it could co-exist with a "persistent world" game :oops: ...

You're partially correct, depends what you define a persitent world I guess.

I was interested in what a lobby based system entails in terms of Torchlight 2.
Henrik

Postby Phanjam » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:19 pm

I would love to get into a discussion about pre-game multiplayer coordination (it's my pet peeve with TL2 at the moment!), but you mentioned about defining "persistent world".

I understand "persistent world" to be a game-world supported by a particular server where visitors to the server can jump in and out of that world as they please (sorry for more ignorance). In my mind, this will suit the lone-wolf player just fine. They can come and go as they please and, if they decide to do some group-play, they can arrange that on the fly (using just in-game chat maybe).

From the above, one can argue that a lobby isn't really needed. But there may be groups of players who want to play as a group and would appreciate having on-server tools which help them coordinate themselves better. Such tools/features could be made available via a "lobby" analogy or some other pre-game peer-to-peer feature.

So, as the developers, what is your understanding/vision of the "persistent world" you are building towards?
TorchModders
Phanjam

Postby Omnifas » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:00 pm

A lobby, in respects to my response, would essentially be TL2 as it is now, a lobby interface. Login>>gamelist(the lobby(minus chat))>>gameroom, but tied to a server-client relationship(server side saving mainly). Basically Diablo 2 and 3. I was mainly echoing this thread.

Before moving on, My definition of a Persistent World, a world that is ever-going and can change. It doesn't need to be "seamless". I think this is where people get confused. MMO doesn't define the world/game rules, just the scale of the player pool. Persistence doesn't define how the world is build just whether or not it changes and progresses like our world.

Personally though, when I refer to a lobby, I mean it from a broad perspective. A Centralized Hub(not necessarily physically in the world) across a Persistent/Not Persistent World. Chat and ways to find other players looking to do something similar and be isolated from the rest of the world while still being part of it. Lobby would basically be how players connect and communicate.
Omnifas

Postby Arkham » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:14 am

^ So like a general chat that everyone playing the game can use to talk to each other (rather than a discrete, separate "lobby" area).

Mods:
Arkham's Armory (TL2) | Lego Wizard pet (TL1)

Check out the Torchlight fan group #The-Lure-of-Ember on dA!
Arkham

Postby kakysha » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:00 am

wow wow wow! Thats what I was looking for for 2 years! Great job, guys! Do you planning to open the source code putting it on github, for example? There are many points for it:
1) many developers playing torchlight will look through and maybe someone be involved, by forking and pulling patches to you
2) It is cool to be open source
3) You will feel much more responsibility to gamer's community :D
P.S. i guarantee to star and watch you repo :D
kakysha

Postby Phanjam » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:15 am

My personal agenda is to see "lobbies" used to help guilds (or similar groups) coordinate themselves better. A "place" you can stop by on your way to or from "the field", to check who's there or whose been there or whether a group of friends plans to be online at some upcoming time. I see private (guild-only) chat, a guild message board, a server message board too (maintenance updates and such).

That's what I'd love to see in a TL2 lobby (to begin with :P )

Spoiler: show
In the months right after TL2's release, I used to go on online every night. I didn't find many friends online but then I only had a few dozen friends at the time. But when I reached the 2 and 3 hundred friends mark, I noticed the number of friends I'd find online had not increased. If anything, they even seemed to have dwindled.

This saddens me, because IMO if there's any community which should be having a blast playing together online, it's this TL community!
TorchModders
Phanjam

Postby Zidders » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:17 am

In b4 people from certain internet communities storm in here and try to get you to make it a secure server (at your expense, of course) so they can get an in game economy going in order to abuse it (and their fellow players) for forum golds.
Zidders

Postby Henrik » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:15 am

Been working on a specialized logo for the project.

Phanjam wrote:I would love to get into a discussion about pre-game multiplayer coordination (it's my pet peeve with TL2 at the moment!), but you mentioned about defining "persistent world".

I understand "persistent world" to be a game-world supported by a particular server where visitors to the server can jump in and out of that world as they please (sorry for more ignorance). In my mind, this will suit the lone-wolf player just fine. They can come and go as they please and, if they decide to do some group-play, they can arrange that on the fly (using just in-game chat maybe).

From the above, one can argue that a lobby isn't really needed. But there may be groups of players who want to play as a group and would appreciate having on-server tools which help them coordinate themselves better. Such tools/features could be made available via a "lobby" analogy or some other pre-game peer-to-peer feature.

Your understanding is precisely what we're building towards. I agree that it would be great to have some pre-game multiplayer coordination but it needs to be done properly.

kakysha wrote:wow wow wow! Thats what I was looking for for 2 years! Great job, guys! Do you planning to open the source code putting it on github, for example? There are many points for it:
1) many developers playing torchlight will look through and maybe someone be involved, by forking and pulling patches to you
2) It is cool to be open source
3) You will feel much more responsibility to gamer's community :D
P.S. i guarantee to star and watch you repo :D

Thanks! We haven't yet considered this option.
Henrik

Postby Salan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:48 am

I think the biggest thing that players wanted with Torchlight was the ability to play in a game where everyone had the same chance at the same things. Where consoles couldn't be used and game play skill would be required to gain your goods rather then the anger fit of typing a command in the console when it doesn't fall in your lap. Now Most players likely play legit, with the odd extra caveat thrown in when it suites. For instance I don't have time to farm as I mod most of my 'game time' away. So I give myself gold and then "legit" buy things with the gold.

It would be nice to join a server where the 'give myself gold' wasn't an option and I would just simply suck it up and play as the game was intended.

Now my main question for you guys is simple. How many people can be in the game at a time, in your persistent world. You could build your game in one of two ways. There is 1 instance of the world, and everyone is moving through that instance together, constantly effecting the exact same instance of the game, much like WOW for instance. Walk through a dungeon and find random player bashing on monsters. Obviously in this setup you would need monsters re-spawning much like a MMO does. and depending on your servers, it would likely work just fine.

The other way is to have a lobby system that people log into , much like diablo 3, where they connect to their characters. Then they browse a server list of 'shards' that have been created and join them and play individual instances of your "persistent" world. In this sense its persistent based on the character, and any changes you make. It would be more of a diablo3 secure server then a true MMO. BUT MMO is a muddied word these days. For instance the original guildwars used both concepts. You had your constantly running cities but private dungeon instances. Where WOW goes full persistence, and games like diablo 3 only connects players through a lobby chat, and server creations where their characters are report-ably 'safe from hacking' and persistent within their own progress.

Most people will think of the Diablo 3 set up when they consider private servers. I played Mythos alpha and Diablo 3 and Guildwars 1... They all hold their bonus's, and in the end it revolves around the restrictions of your servers and software.

which of the three styles were you guys aiming for?
Synergies Conversion mod: http://www.synergiesmod.com
Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!

Salan

Postby Henrik » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:05 pm

Salan wrote:I think the biggest thing that players wanted with Torchlight was the ability to play in a game where everyone had the same chance at the same things. Where consoles couldn't be used and game play skill would be required to gain your goods rather then the anger fit of typing a command in the console when it doesn't fall in your lap. Now Most players likely play legit, with the odd extra caveat thrown in when it suites. For instance I don't have time to farm as I mod most of my 'game time' away. So I give myself gold and then "legit" buy things with the gold.

It would be nice to join a server where the 'give myself gold' wasn't an option and I would just simply suck it up and play as the game was intended.

Now my main question for you guys is simple. How many people can be in the game at a time, in your persistent world. You could build your game in one of two ways. There is 1 instance of the world, and everyone is moving through that instance together, constantly effecting the exact same instance of the game, much like WOW for instance. Walk through a dungeon and find random player bashing on monsters. Obviously in this setup you would need monsters re-spawning much like a MMO does. and depending on your servers, it would likely work just fine.

The other way is to have a lobby system that people log into , much like diablo 3, where they connect to their characters. Then they browse a server list of 'shards' that have been created and join them and play individual instances of your "persistent" world. In this sense its persistent based on the character, and any changes you make. It would be more of a diablo3 secure server then a true MMO. BUT MMO is a muddied word these days. For instance the original guildwars used both concepts. You had your constantly running cities but private dungeon instances. Where WOW goes full persistence, and games like diablo 3 only connects players through a lobby chat, and server creations where their characters are report-ably 'safe from hacking' and persistent within their own progress.

Most people will think of the Diablo 3 set up when they consider private servers. I played Mythos alpha and Diablo 3 and Guildwars 1... They all hold their bonus's, and in the end it revolves around the restrictions of your servers and software.

which of the three styles were you guys aiming for?

You bring up a very relevant question about something that we felt could be easily misinterpreted. We're building towards your first interpretation of a persistent world. While we know our server can hold a great amount of players, we try to avoid giving out numbers because you simply never know before you stress it, but I can say that it's in the hundreds.

Even though this is our initial choice, we're open to change, we're creating this for the community's satisfaction after all, while it remains an educational project as well.

Hope this clarifies what we're aiming for.
Henrik

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion