OMG I'm Pissed Right Now

Forum for random topics.

OMG I'm Pissed Right Now

Postby Webbstre » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:37 pm

Warning: Incoming Rant/Rage

What the hell is THIS? Phanjam PMed me to say he'd been contacted by a website called gmods.com saying that they uploaded his mods without his permission. It CLAIMS that if he does not "claim an account" with them then the mods will be deleted when the service finishes its beta. I'm pretty certain that I've said since day one that all mods belong to their original authors, and you have to ASK PERMISSION before you can take them and put them anywhere else. I check out the website, and it appears that they are slowly but surely going through our mods and uploading them all.

Apparently this site is owned by Olympus Games, which is some random company that hasn't updated its news section in four years. It smells like an obvious attempt for a company with no interest in anything other than money to steal the hard work of community sites like mine.

I ended up sending out a mass e-mail to the RGF userlist, telling modders about what was happening and how to contact the people there if they want their work removed. I can't even tell how many mods they have taken so far, because the organization is confusing and there are no numbers anywhere. It looks like an obvious "make it look shiny to steal all the users" ploy rather than to focus on something like functionality. Grrrrr.....

Oh, and their contact form doesn't work. Fortunately Phanjam gave me the e-mail address of the person he got contacted from, so I included that in the mass e-mail.

Now to put a nice fat "Do Not Steal" type message on the downloads section. What a waste of my time to have to do this...
Last edited by Webbstre on Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You've saved RGF! Want to help make it Ad Free for EVERYONE for a year? Help us reach our next goal!
Webbstre

Re: OMG I'm Pissed Right Now

Postby Paws » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:04 pm

I hate it when people plagiarize my work. Makes me want to dropkick small puppies into their faces.
Reviews and Journalism, RPGamer.com
Zidders wrote:Fyi. Paws isn't a madam. She's a total PIMP.
/swag
Paws

Postby Webbstre » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:17 pm

That would be so mean to the puppies.
You've saved RGF! Want to help make it Ad Free for EVERYONE for a year? Help us reach our next goal!
Webbstre

Postby Paws » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:22 pm

I'm a cat person. Duh.
Reviews and Journalism, RPGamer.com
Zidders wrote:Fyi. Paws isn't a madam. She's a total PIMP.
/swag
Paws

Postby jamesL » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:41 pm

I hate it when people plagiarize my work. Makes me want to dropkick small puppies into their faces.
I don't have a sig
jamesL

Postby Omnifas » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:06 pm

I feel sorry for these puppies...

How hard is it to make a thread on this forum, title it "Mod Hosting", and in the text "Hi we are hosting Torchlight Mods now, but we're in beta, if you like a key feel free to contact us."

At least this way you start off on the right foot with the modders, unlike "hey I downloaded your mod and uploaded it on our site, make an account"
Omnifas

Postby amb2010 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:48 pm

I can't tell if I'm going crazy or not, but did jamesL copy paste what Paws said?

Anyways seems the site was removed so that problem is over. Other than that it was a fairly stupid thing to do, hosting mods and what not is fine and helps them spread but you *need* permission to do so, the fact it's on the internet doesn't automatically give anyone the right to do what they want with it which is something most internet-goers seem to misunderstand.
Disclaimer: Above berating does not apply to those with a brain (usually).
amb2010

Postby Webbstre » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:55 pm

Yeah, it took me a moment to realize what jamesl was doing there :P

And the site is still up, I just mistyped it.
Webbstre

Postby wolfmane » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:30 pm

Actually sounds like a phishing scam to me.

It CLAIMS that if he does not "claim an account" with them then the mods will be deleted when the service finishes its beta.

That's the fishy part (pun intended) that set up red flags for me. I'd be careful with dealing with whoever this gmod site is.
wolfmane

Postby amb2010 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:36 pm

Gah that *about Gmod* section makes me want to rip my eyes out. Not only do they have the site name as "gmod" which will direct a ton of traffic from people looking up stuff for gmod (aka gary's mod for those that don't know) but the whole "We are trying to revolutionize the modding community" is the biggest load of crap I've seen in awhile. It does indeed seem like a fishy site and I for one won't be downloading anything.

The site itself hurts my eyes as well, who ever made it must not have paid attention during his "website 101" class/tutorial.
Disclaimer: Above berating does not apply to those with a brain (usually).
amb2010

Postby hawkn » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:35 pm

That is bull shit. If they took my mods (I don't care how crappy they were), I'll still be pissed. I feel for you Web... I appreciate what you do, and these guys throwing a shitty site together is not cool. Is there a way to have them taken down?
...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
Runic Games Fansite My Deviant
hawkn

Postby Webbstre » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:51 pm

I'm honestly not sure. It looks like some of the mods were uploaded months ago. I wouldn't have known if Phanjam hadn't told me, because no one ever contacted me. Also, their contact form didn't appear to work and I can't e-mail the company that owns them until I get home from work.
Webbstre

Postby Omnifas » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:24 pm

their about gmod is funny, "We are trying to revolutionize the modding community" reminds me of Mod DB.
Omnifas

Postby Tanuki » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:41 pm

it's a troll site, your not going to be able to get them to take down your stuff so just be sure to tell people to stay away.

when I clicked the link (before fully reading your OP) I was all "WTF, why is Web posting a link to a spam site?"
Tanuki

Postby Webbstre » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:42 pm

Human spambots then, since they have to manually take and make everything. They did it for so many other games too.
Webbstre

Postby Dusho » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:42 am

it says there:
Mod content has been uploaded to gmod.com for testing purposes only.
Any mods not linked to an author with an acitve account will be removed when GMOD goes live.

So, if no one claims account that was created for him, mods should go down, I guess.
they can't even upload .png pictures properly.
Dusho

Postby superawesomeman589 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:18 am

I think you should keep an eye on when the site goes live and if they haven't purged your stuff, it's time to throw the lawbook at them. You own the rights to those mods.

If it were me I'd already be looking to sue, testing purposes or not, but that's just me.

Check out the latest update to my blog- http://www.iroarc.blogspot.com
superawesomeman589

Postby Webbstre » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:25 am

I'll be keeping an eye on them, and if the big fat red warning on RGF doesn't give them any clues and they don't delete the files after beta (or, if the beta NEVER ENDS) I'll have to figure out what to do. I don't own the rights to the mods, but stealing them without permission of the creators probably is just as illegal. Still, what the heck do I know about lawyers? It sounds complicated.
Webbstre

Postby Zidders » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:04 am

Here's a great page about just this sort of thing
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... tent_Usage

Basically, Runic grants you a license. Some of the mod is under their copyright, some under your own. YOu're free to offer it for download, but anyone who then has the mod needs to get specific permission from you to do anything to it or redistribute, unless it's specifically stated somewhere in the mod that they're allowed to do otherwise.

This article applies as well;
http://www.art-licensing.biz/post/2011/ ... ernet.aspx

Here's how to file a DMCA takedown notice.
http://www.naturescapes.net/docs/index.php/articles/314

This is where knowing a lot of furry artists who have dealt with just this sort of thing pays off. A lot of art online gets stolen and redistributed. It can get pretty nightmarish dealing with the sheer amount of websites that repost art illegaly ^_^ Hope this helps!
Zidders

Postby Heavy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:05 pm

I agree, it's frustrating to have your work appropriated and used in a way that is beyond your control. This has been an ongoing issue on the internet for a good long time now. Regardless of the convenience of it (or perhaps because of it), many authors, artists, songwriters, etc are terribly standoffish about using the internet to publish. Some consider the online domain a land of surrendered copyright, given the ease with which scoundrels can take liberties, and the difficulty one is faced with in trying to seek redress of such wrongs.

At one time, it was Napster disseminating recordings of songs without the artist getting diddley for their efforts. Then it was AOL, and later Scribd, reprinting published novels in whole cloth without so much as an acknowledgement of the rights of the authors.

And now computer game mods. It's sad to see every emerging field of creative endeavor have to take a long hard slog through this particular mudhole.
Two hydrogen atoms meet. One says, "I've lost my electron." The other says, "Are you sure?" The first replies "Yes, I'm positive."
Heavy

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion