- - Opened up the mercenary.MESH in max, removed the shoulder armor and cut him into 4 pieces (head, shoulders, boots, gloves)...resaved as merc.MESH
- Opened up the destroyer .SKELETON file in max
- Merged the merc.MESH into the scene
- Skinned the merc.MESH to the destroyer.SKELETON
- Saved and exported as merc.MESH and merc.SKELETON using Torch supplied exporters
Also applied materials in there. At this point I can run just fine. The animations play, the textures load and there doesn't seem to be any issues with playing. And then I go to equip armor. I equip any weapons just fine.
Taking a look at the wardrobe file of the destroyer I see that there is a .MESH, .SKELETON and .material file for each armor type (starter, leather, heavy leather, chain...etc). So I try the following.
- - Open up the scene I saved above.
- Import leather_set.MESH
- Line up all 4 pieces of the leather_set armor. I delete the NEWHEAD object
- Skin the shoulder, gloves, chest and boots to the correct gloves.
- Apply a material to each armor piece.
- Export as .MESH and .SKELETON with the name new_leathers
- Place the mesh, skeleton and material files in mods/media/wardrobe/mercCLASS
- Used Class Creator 3.1
- Opened up TorchED. Data Editor > Units > Items > Normal Shoulder
- Cloned Leather Shoulders and made sure that my merc class was on the wardrobe list.
- The drop down list for the mesh selection didn't show the directory of the wardrobe file in my mods folder so I edited the dat by hand to do so.
Since the mesh selection for armors only shows whats in the TorchED/media directory I even tried adding my class wardrobe file. That allowed me to select it via the drop down mesh selection in TorchED, but it still didn't work. So I am at wits end...hoping anyone can help.
Things I learned about how it works:
- Seeing as no one really knows what is going on here I guess I just have to figure this stuff out here on my own. Hopefully somebody will read this and it will help them...or somebody can answer my questions....who knows.
- - All mesh's are broken up into several submesh material objects (according to the .MESH.XML) which are; head, shoulders, helmet, gloves, chest, boots
- Applying a Multi/Sub Object material to a mesh will give the exported mesh the required sub objects needed to display armor
- The player's base mesh is broken into 4 parts (head, chest, gloves, boots)
- The importer will properly import a mesh with its materials but the mult/sub object materials don't show in the material editor
Things I have tried and that doesn't appear to have an effect:
- - Rigging the armor by using a Skin Wrap modifier to the default mesh (left the default mesh in and tried it with it gone)
- Rigging the armor by using the Skin modifier to the default mesh, selecting each armor piece to skin to its corresponding bone (tried it with the base mesh in and out).
- Simply opened up the leather_set.MESH provided in the Pak.zip and renamed it.
- Placing the leather_set files in the /media/wardrobe/mercClass
- After rigging default leather_set to my merc mesh I placed the new set into /media/wardrobe/mercClass
- After rigging default leather_set to my merc mesh I placed the new set into /TorchED/media/wardrobe/mercClass (had to make the files).
- Created new items with TorchED for the shoulder, helmet, chest, boots and gloves.
- Cloned existing items
- Applied Multi/Sub Object material to base mesh
- Applied Mult/Sub Object material to leather_set
- Using the Destroyer_Mod rig in tutorial-assets I skin wrapped the leather_set to my merc mesh.
- - Applied multi/sub object materials to the base mesh made my exported .MESH.xml almost mirror a converted mesh straight from Pak.zip
- Applied multi/sub object materials to the leather_set, skinned it to base mesh bones.
- Pretty sure I've tried all I know, all thats left is messing with the items I think. A few more tweaks and I might get it working.