[CLASS] Enchantress

Want to share your mod with the world? Feel free!

Re: [CLASS] Enchantress Mod - NEW Version 0.3

Postby robcallis » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:48 am

karl wrote:So I've gradually begun to notice a problem. I don't know when the problem started, because it took me a while to realize anything odd was going on. The problem seems to be only happening with my enchantress character, so possibly the problem is caused by the enchantress plugin: i'm not entirely sure.

The actual problem is that some enemies are randomly becoming unattackable. I aim and click and nothing happens. Minions and the pet won't attack it. Odder still, the unattackable enemy is "friendly": it attacks other enemies! Oh, and when this happens, a sort of globe of light hovers over the enemy. Now, I seem to recall that some classes have a charm spell to do this, but I've never used it. My Enchantress focuses on Ember bolt, duel wield, and summoning, so this should not happen. The pet does not use a spell to charm enemies, either.

• is this problem caused by the Enchantress mod? (some invisible passive spell?)
  • How can I find out the above?
  • Is anyone else having this problem?

The only other mods I'm running are Valkyre 2 and the Banshee.

p.s. - sometimes it happens to a boss! D'oh!

Check your equipment, you might have something that charms your enemies to fight for you for 20 seconds. And btw how did you get the add-on to work. In my mod directory I have the Enchantress 1st and the add-on after that. In TorchLeech I have it loaded the same way. But it shows the default meshes. :o Help :shock:
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
robcallis

Postby karl » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:04 pm

Thanks. When I next run the game, I'll check over what's equipped.

The add on for that armor (whatever it's called) you mean? I read about it but didn't try it, so I don't know. :o

EDIT: that was it. She has a shoulder peice that causes a 2% (or so) chance of enemies becoming friendly. D'oh! That was my mistake. The Enchantress mod is fine! :)
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
karl

Postby robcallis » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:55 pm

karl wrote:Thanks. When I next run the game, I'll check over what's equipped.

The add on for that armor (whatever it's called) you mean? I read about it but didn't try it, so I don't know. :o

EDIT: that was it. She has a shoulder peice that causes a 2% (or so) chance of enemies becoming friendly. D'oh! That was my mistake. The Enchantress mod is fine! :)

Cool glad everything is ok :lol:
robcallis

Postby Phanjam » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:43 pm

Hey thanks Robcallis for helping clear that up!

About the Demon Huntress armor add-ons not showing, it may be that the game has a different interpretation of "load priority" :lol: I put a number prefix on my mod folders (starting at 000) to order how they load, thinking lower numbers should load first. But it seems the game does it the other way around. Could you give that a try first?

Will also work on a complete mod that uses the Demon Huntress armor already, so you won;t have to fiddle around with an add-on :D
Phanjam

Postby robcallis » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:25 am

Phanjam wrote:Hey thanks Robcallis for helping clear that up!

About the Demon Huntress armor add-ons not showing, it may be that the game has a different interpretation of "load priority" :lol: I put a number prefix on my mod folders (starting at 000) to order how they load, thinking lower numbers should load first. But it seems the game does it the other way around. Could you give that a try first?

Will also work on a complete mod that uses the Demon Huntress armor already, so you won;t have to fiddle around with an add-on :D

No problem glad to help when ever I can.
robcallis

Re: [CLASS] Enchantress - Now Version 2.0 (Dec.17,2010)

Postby Phanjam » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:44 am

Version 2.0 Information

Hey whatever happened to version 1.0? Well, there wasn;t one. I jumped to 2.0 to signify a REALLY big change in the development direction for this mod, which was to move her completely away from being an ALchmeist gender counterpart and to become a more traditional mage/sorceress type warrior.

I decided to use the skill tree I developed for the AMMUT DISCIPLE mod, because (a) they were the kind of skills I thouhgt a mage should have and (b) I have decided to stop development of the AMMUT mod because of the basic flaw in that mod's use of the Zealot mesh which is the absence of proper animations for all the attacks and very importantly for fishing.

I have also given her all new attack and voice sound files (a little over the top, but hey...) and a new character intro/game-start screen.

You can DL Enchantress 2.0 from its RGF database page...
Phanjam

Re: [CLASS] Enchantress - Now Version 2.1 (Dec.18,2010)

Postby Phanjam » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:22 pm

Now Version 2.1 (as of Dec.18, 2010)

Just a minor update to clean-up the voice sound files (some of them were difficult to understand) as well as the intro cinematic.

The RGF DL link is still the same.
Phanjam

Patch For Enchantress Voice

Postby Phanjam » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:30 pm

[PATCH] For Enchantress Voice

I've made a patch that adds additional voice sound files for the Enchantress. When she attacks or performs skills, this patch will make her either recite a chant or make an evil chuckling sound. Requires at least Enchantress v2.1.

Download link

Didn't release it as a full update since I wasn't sure if this would interest anyone. Just put the [PATCH] folder into your mods folder like any other mod - just make sure it loads before the main Enchantress mod.

I'd like to know what anyone thinks of this please! :)
Phanjam

Re: [CLASS] Enchantress

Postby Allison » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:03 pm

OK, I tried the new enchantress, got up to somewhere in the mid-teens. C&C time. There are a lot of things I like, and also some concerns I have.

I like the new high magic/dark magic theme, but...
...She seems like she might be a bit overly elemental in her current incarnation. I know that's hard to avoid in this game, with only four magical damage types (all elemental, effectively) and then just "magic" damage, but for instance, she has two lightning powers: Lightning Orb at 5th (which I admittedly used as my bread-and-butter for quite a few levels due to its reasonable damage and low mana cost, in spite of its unwieldiness), and then Lightning Rage later (and I shudder to think of what I'd be doing with Lightning Rage if I saved points for that rather than spending them all on Lightning Orb). That said, it may have been your intention.
...I wanted to summon Nether Imps. Needs more Nether Imps. The class's theme practically screams Nether Imps.
...Smite was pretty cool; it has a very convenient area of effect, unlike Lightning Orb, which is a real PITA to aim.
...Shadow Chains seems to work better as an ouchie dispenser than a debuff, but it is very expensive, especially considering that it's available at second level. If you intended it as an ouchie dispenser and not as a debuff (which seems likely), I'm inclined to suggest raising it to a higher tier where the mana cost will be less heart-attack-inducing, but it also occurs to me that the raw damage at the start wouldn't be that great at a higher tier, either, so I dunno.
...Fiery Breath is really weak, especially when you compare it to the other stuff enchantresses get at level ten.

The voice is excellent, especially with the voice patch (which I installed right off the bat).

Mangle is a nice touch, and definitely keeps a magical feel despite being a melee attack (aside from Magic not strengthening it), and I like that you actually gave it a different (and more magical-looking) particle effect than Slash. I like it, it's clever and I couldn't resist playing with it, and it still has a certain charm. I just don't know what I want to do with it, really. I mean, I'm aware you're supposed to, like, go into melee combat with it, but but but...
...I can't use it with staves. I know it's a melee attack and thus not being able to use it with wands makes sense, but staves? It's not unusual for me to have a wand on one weapon set and a staff on the other, but this requires me to actually dedicate one of my weapon sets to a Mangling tool.
...It's 100% Strength when I've been pumping Magic like a powdered ember fiend, on top of the fact that I have to wade into the danger zone to play with it.
...The above two points might be me missing its point: they're things I'd definitely suggest addressing if Mangle is being marketed to enchantresses in general, but your intention might actually be to throw a bone to enchantresses specifically aiming at melee builds as opposed to ranged nuke builds. That's actually fine, and I'm not knocking it. Even if it's the case, though, I have further concerns, which apply whether it's intended for enchantresses in general or just the oddball melee build.
...The mana cost is awfully high, don't you think?
...My kingdom for a spell to help me not die while I am mounting this confused suicide. You know, something along the lines of the alchemist's Ember Shield or the destroyer's Frost Shield. Even something like the destroyer's Spectral Echo or Shadow Armour.
...And, if it's intended specifically for melee enchantresses, level ten isn't horrible, but would level five fly? It occurs to me that alchemists get Ember Shock at level one.

The skill tree is a bit of a mess, though I imagine you're already aware of it. It occurs to me that you might just be waiting until you've finalized her skills to bother sorting it out, though.

And lastly now that you've diverted the enchantress from her original female alchemist objective, I'm actually going to have to get off my ass and make an actual breakout of the female alchemist. asdflkjsad;flkajfg;oa w8
Allison

Postby Phanjam » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:09 pm

Hi Allison! Thanks so much for all this feedback! I really appreciate it :D I have some responses below...

Imps

Did you say Imps?! :) I have been working on an Imp skill for the Enchantress, because I felt she needed summons support earlier in the game (the SkelKnight and the Troll are available at levels 10 and 20 I think). So I modified the Alchemist's imps skill and I give you...

Spoiler: show
F I R E I M P S ! ! !
Aren't they cute?! They've even got little fire bites!
I've made this into a patch already :D get it here.

I think I'll have the Enchantress start out with 1 point in it already. I may have to bump the SKelKnight and the Troll higher tho, idk yet.

Enchantress skills in general

Glad you like the theme! It's a good indication to me that I'm on the right track :) Although I wasn't conscious I was doing it this way at the time, you're right that I'm just sticking in any skills I think are nice at this point.

So it's classic not-seeing-the-forest-for-the-trees; yes the skills mix should be improved (and yes the skill tree IS a mess!) and making it a less elemental-heavy mix is probably the right direction, starting with getting rid of same-element overlapping skills (like Enchanted Breath). Then put in stuff like more buffs (speed, resistances, etc.) and even a small expansion of magic-infused melee stuff, along the lines of the suggestions you made for the Mangle skill.

Beyond that is stuff like tuning the levels at which each skills becomes available, and tuning mana costs for each skill (your point about Enchanted Chains for example). But as a player, I'm not terribly conscious of character builds and how it's affected by skill choice. So my view isn't a good one to use while fine-tuning skills. I guess I wanna say, I'd really appreciate some direction/suggestions in this area from anyone who has an opinion or a philosophy for that :)

The voice is excellent, especially with the voice patch (which I installed right off the bat).

Haha! Thanks! I'm glad you like it - I think I'll release it in a full update now, along with the new imp skill :)
Phanjam

[CLASS] Enchantress Version 2.3

Postby Phanjam » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:28 pm

Now Version 2.3

Okay here's the latest update numbered version 2.3.

It incorporates the voice add-ons released earlier as a patch and also the new Fire Imp skill discussed in the previous post.

As usual, feedback is very much welcome! :D
Phanjam

Postby Phanjam » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:59 pm

Allison wrote:OK, I tried the new enchantress, got up to somewhere in the mid-teens. C&C time. There are a lot of things I like, and also some concerns I have.

Hi Allison!

Wanted to let you know that I want to give your feedback (and CloudSculptor's feedback over at RGF) the attention they deserve, but because of the Holidays and the fact that I'm starting a new job too, I may be pretty slow releasing new versions that address both your skill balance inputs.

Also all the feedback is a little overwhelming - I have to get my mind around it as a whole first, then drill down into the specific skill tweaks or new skills.

But thanks very much for using the mod! Happy New Year!
Phanjam

Postby karl » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:23 am

Some time ago (back in the late summer) I got this mod and also your Valkyre mod. After learning how to edit the user interface to be able to use both at once (and to restore the ferret pet option), I played Torchlight with no problems.

Then I wanted to try other class mods, so I started downloading and putting them in. I always ended up having one problem or another, usually the problem where the armor floats in front of the face. I was never able to fix this and any explanations that I read I could not understand. There was even mention of some program that would fix thus, but it seemed more for making new classes than for making existing classes get along. The situation was that I could run Valkyre and Enchantress and no other mods ... but I wanted to try more classes!

So, I gave up. With regret, I deleted all and started fresh: jarcho's big class compo. It had a bunch of classes that worked together and all I had to do was fix the user interface to restore the ferret pet choice.

Now, today, I'm reading about the new skill tree (no longer just the female Alchemist) and it sounds interesting. I want to try it out. Can this class be used along with jarco's class, so that its Enchanter and your Enchantress both are available and do not conflict with each other?
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
karl

Postby Allison » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:09 pm

karl: I suggest using Dusho's Custom Class Items Generator to fix the problem. The armour problem with multiple custom classes is that the data files for each piece of armour with wardrobe files (chest, gloves, boots, shoulders, helmet) is that every one of those armour files for those categories has to specifically state what classes can use it and what file paths to use for the wardrobe files.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15644&p=132311&hilit=dusho+class#p132311

Dusho's program goes through the 1200+ files and adds the data for new classes manually to save you from what is no doubt a suicide mission. You pick one of the three base classes as the "starting template," and it uses the item icons for that class, but you can check the first two override boxes to give the new class its own wardrobe folders (be sure to go back and fill them afterwards). When you run the program, you pick the folder you want it to take item data files from, and it generates a new folder with all of the files intact plus your new class written into said files--you can keep adding more classes by running the program again on the new, updated files it created last time.

A secret: you only want one set of item data files in your mods folder. If you have multiple class mods each with their own item data files (undoubtedly), pick one to start with, add the other classes to its item files, and delete the ones that come with the other classes, so that the game doesn't end up loading the wrong set.

Half of Torchlight modding, really, is not making new mods so much as using a little savvy to reconcile existing mods for your own use. Or at least that's how it's been for me so far. Actually dare I say it's been 90% that for me so far to be completely honest.
Allison

Postby Phanjam » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:17 pm

Hi Allison! Thanks for inputting!

Hi Karl! The short answer is 'yes' you can mod Jarcho's Compilation so that it will play nice with the Enchantress.

As Allison pointed out, it'll involve using that utility program you mentioned (called an item generator which is maybe why it seems to be for creating new classes only - but it's actually just an item editor and so can be used to "fix" existing items). Just follow the link she made to get the Generator.

What you do is run the items from the Compilation mod through the generator, using the settings to "fix" them for the Enchantress class, then put them back into the Compilation mod. Then you just delete the items folder in the media/units folder of the Enchantress class, so that the game will use the Compilation mod items instead.

Be aware though - I think Jarcho himself pointed out that the total size of all those "fixed" items in his Compilation mod is dangerously near the limit of what the game can handle. I just don't know whether the additional fixing as described above will hit that limit or not yet.

Hope that helped! I'm happy to discuss it more if you feel you need more info :)
Phanjam

Postby DreamWhisper » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:07 am

Hello, Phanjam!

I love this class! I love her look and her skills are awesome. I really like the looks of the summon young troll skill she gets later in the levels! I was just wondering about one thing and this is the only thing that keeps me from playing her at the moment... I use SorrySoldOut's re-textures in my game and when I place this class into the game with that mod running she looks... out of place. Of course, if I take the texture mod out she fits the world again but I don't want to do that. I'm all about games looking as awesome as they can. I noticed in your Valkyrie class you take advantage of this re-texture mod and use it for the Valkyrie model. So, my question is, if there is any chance you plan to use that re-texture mod for this class as well? I don't know if it's even possible, I know nothing of modding, but I would certainly appreciate a version of her with those textures being used. But, that's easy for me to say, I'm not the one doing all the hard work to get it that way. ;)

Either which way, thank you for the mod and I'm sure I'll get to using her one way or another!
DreamWhisper

Postby Phanjam » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:38 am

DreamWhisper wrote:if there is any chance you plan to use that (SorrySoldOut's) re-texture mod for this class as well?

Here's a patch to apply SorrySoldOut's re-textured Vanq armors to the Enchantress (with some edits to maintain the cowl headpiece on the affected armor types).

Install like any other mod and you can "check it out" first - just remove it if you don't like it. Or, if you do like it, you can swap the mod's wardrobe files permanently (there's instructions in the patch on how to do that).

Let me know how this works for you! :)
Phanjam

Postby DreamWhisper » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:23 am

Sorry it took a bit for me to get back to you. Wasn't until today I really had a chance to play around with this character and the patch. I was busy with the Valkyrie yesterday. :)

Anyhow, thank you so much for the patch! It was so kind of you to respond and so quickly with it! In the end, however, I think she looks better without it because the cowl headpiece really, really stands out since it is not textured the same as the rest and I like the cowl. I also think I'm just gonna stick to the in-game alchemist for the time. Only because the Valkyrie and the Enchantress cannot be installed at the same time and it just makes it easier for swapping back and force between characters. Which I do a lot of. To share out items and because I'm easily bored. LOL! The class was fun though and ran great for me!

Thanks for the mod and for the patch! I may play her further one day.
DreamWhisper

Postby N3MES1S » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:39 am

Hi Phanjam, first off, as always, excelent job on the character. I really love it (i start to love all your characters.. dunno why.. :shock: ), and i love as someone said the Troll summong skill. I love it so much that i decided on my own to make a pet mod with the Troll King ;) . Well, i can get it to work, except for one thing: i cant get the troll mace to show up in the right hand. I just copied the spawnrighthand part of your dat king troll file but it doesnt work... i want a Troll Mace!!, any ideas? i noticed that in-game, the Troll King only uses the earthquake skill, he will not attack the enemies (maybe cuz he doesnt have a mace??) there is something else i need to know about spawning weapons on pets? or it is not possible on pets but it is ok on summoned ones??

Thanks for all your work, Phanjam =)
N3MES1S

Postby Phanjam » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:00 am

N3MES1S wrote:...i decided on my own to make a pet mod with the Troll King ;) . Well, i can get it to work, except for one thing: i cant get the troll mace to show up in the right hand. I just copied the spawnrighthand part of your dat king troll file but it doesnt work... i want a Troll Mace!!, any ideas? i noticed that in-game, the Troll King only uses the earthquake skill, he will not attack the enemies (maybe cuz he doesnt have a mace??) there is something else i need to know about spawning weapons on pets? or it is not possible on pets but it is ok on summoned ones??

Hi N3M3SIS! I checked the other popular pet mods and it seems none of them have been able to equip their pets with weapons :( so it seems your guess is right - you can equip a summoned monster, but you cannot equip a pet.

But you can still force your pet to attack even if it has no weapon, by giving him some more skills :)
Phanjam

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Showcase