Kingdom of amalur reckoning

Forum for random topics.

Re: Kingdom of amalur reckoning

Postby hawkn » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:00 pm

B-but GTA 4 looked so good!
...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
Runic Games Fansite My Deviant
hawkn

Postby Mivo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:48 pm

amb2010 wrote:Just so happens that some people in the world appreciate style more than high poly counts and hi-res textures. Sadly most people now a days want high poly models of the brown and bloom variety >_>

Well, style preferences are subjective. What I saw in the demo struck me as dated, uninspired, unoriginal and "square" looking. The low polygon count was obvious, but that alone didn't make it unappealing to me (I played video games already in the 1980s and I'm a fan of pixel art, so no, I don't have to have the latest graphics quality in order to appreciate a game's art; in fact, I really dig Torchlight's, which plenty of people might find too simplistic on a technical level). In case of KoA, I felt both graphics and aesthetics ("style") were poor, but as I said, different people have different preferences. I'm not claiming any particular art direction is better or worse than another.

Anyway I was only curious if there had been a newer demo or if the final product had a significantly different look, since the claim was that it had better graphics than some people had ever seen before, and I thought that referred to the graphics quality rather than aesthetics (style). But it apparently doesn't, which is fine! I'll play it some day when it's on sale, because I do enjoy the genre. :)
Mivo

Postby SimonSaysBaka » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:37 am

KOA, does not have bad graphics, nor is it low poly count, its a different type of artstyle, They did a awezome job with the game, And I think it looks great.
SimonSaysBaka

Postby adoomgod » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:38 am

....Except it becomes so easy repetitive and lackluster that if you weren't already killing innocent towns people, you will start to feel the urge seep in and take over.
I put the "DOOM" in "Sexy."
adoomgod

Postby SimonSaysBaka » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:40 am

The game is abit easy, so anyone who wants to play it set it on hard.
SimonSaysBaka

Postby amb2010 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:27 pm

Mivo wrote:-snip-

I will say I think you are still being a bit to strict on the game. It by no means is Crysis level texture/model quality but it certainly isn't 2004 level. Perhaps you had it running on a lower setting than you thought?
Disclaimer: Above berating does not apply to those with a brain (usually).
amb2010

Postby hawkn » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:52 pm

SimonSaysBaka wrote:The game is abit easy, so anyone who wants to play it set it on hard.

Hard just makes the random *actual* difficulty spikes more random. It's still easy to kill stuff, it just takes a bit longer. And you'll randomly get 1 hit a bit more often, which isn't more fun, or even more difficult, it's just more frustrating.
...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
Runic Games Fansite My Deviant
hawkn

Postby Seer » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:08 am

Yeah, jaggy difficulty is pretty annoying. It mostly has to do with game mechanics, such as the players or the enemies not being able to react or attack because of a combo attack.

(Hawkn, does your new avatar come with a computerized voice?)
And so he spoke, and so he spoke,
that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall,
with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.
Seer

Previous

Return to Off-Topic Discussion