Fishing needs to be way harder

Hardcore Discussion :: Guild Discussion

Fishing needs to be way harder

Postby DragonSlayerOrnstein » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:27 pm

Right now fishing in the open world = a chest that takes 30-60s to fully loot. That's it. There is no possibility of failure for a healthy human being. Why not to make it a challenging minigame rathen than an annoying time sink and maybe for a slightly better loot?
User avatar
DragonSlayerOrnstein
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:38 pm

Re: Fishing needs to be way harder

Postby WarMogul » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:30 pm

Slightly better...what? You must be fishing in different places than me. I've gotten two unique pet items and several permanent morph fish and probably two dozen blues from fishing. I love what they've done with fishing. In FATE/TL you could fish forever, but it took dozens of tries to score anything useful. Now they've limited and upped the rate of useful pulls a WHOLE, WHOLE lot. Maybe I only love it because I know the previous two versions, but I love it.
I only have experience on Elite, so if I make some claim that seems completely bizarre to you, it may be because I've never used a lower setting.
WarMogul
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:35 am

Re: Fishing needs to be way harder

Postby flunkorg » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:33 pm

Oh god, please no. :(
Fishing in RPG's is never good when they try to make it complex in any sense.
User avatar
flunkorg
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 3:34 am

Re: Fishing needs to be way harder

Postby Metro » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:34 pm

Uh no. Fishing pools are fairly limited. Maybe two 'promising' pools per map and one 'secret' pool (sometimes none at all). Promising are limited to 9 casts and usually don't have anything exceptional whereas secret ones are limited to only 3 casts. Fishing is fine. This isn't a game a bout fishing it's a hack-n-slash combat game. Having the mechanic be simplified is not an issue. What was an issue in TL1 was how tedious it was where all pools would be endless but with absurdly low percentages/random chance. Limiting the number of casts for a given pool was the correct fix.
User avatar
Metro
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Fishing needs to be way harder

Postby wolfmane » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:34 pm

Maybe. All I know is that I fish in TL2. I didn't ever fish in TL.

There is no possibility of failure for a healthy human being.


Try not to be degrading or wildly exaggerate in this way. I miss on occasion and I'm a healthy human being. More than just baseline healthy in fact.
Image
User avatar
wolfmane
 
Posts: 1920
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:10 pm

Re: Fishing needs to be way harder

Postby Daniel » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:35 pm

DragonSlayerOrnstein wrote:Right now fishing in the open world = a chest that takes 30-60s to fully loot. That's it. There is no possibility of failure for a healthy human being. Why not to make it a challenging minigame rathen than an annoying time sink and maybe for a slightly better loot?


I assume you also want to get rid of dynamite, right? I just use dynamite, myself. I don't mind losing a fish or two because I don't have to waste time on the minigame.
Daniel
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:16 am

Re: Fishing needs to be way harder

Postby DragonSlayerOrnstein » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:36 pm

Huh what? I am talking about how tedious fishing is and one can't really fail at it rather than wanting infinite ponds...
User avatar
DragonSlayerOrnstein
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:38 pm

Re: Fishing needs to be way harder

Postby Metro » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:39 pm

DragonSlayerOrnstein wrote:Huh what? I am talking about how tedious fishing is and one can't really fail at it rather than wanting infinite ponds...


How is it tedious now? Firstly, you can opt not to bother with it. If you do want to the number of casts are fairly limited and it probably only takes two minutes per pool (if that) and, as stated, there's usually only two or three per map. Finally you can just buy dynamite. Your OP called for fishing to be more challenging. That's pointless. It's just a small sidebar to get some additional loot.
User avatar
Metro
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Fishing needs to be way harder

Postby Spazmok » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:43 pm

what about a chance to hook a great white and be pulled into the pond/well of doom!?
Spazmok
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:08 am

Re: Fishing needs to be way harder

Postby DragonSlayerOrnstein » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:47 pm

Metro wrote:
DragonSlayerOrnstein wrote:Huh what? I am talking about how tedious fishing is and one can't really fail at it rather than wanting infinite ponds...


How is it tedious now? Firstly, you can opt not to bother with it. If you do want to the number of casts are fairly limited and it probably only takes two minutes per pool (if that) and, as stated, there's usually only two or three per map. Finally you can just buy dynamite. Your OP called for fishing to be more challenging. That's pointless. It's just a small sidebar to get some additional loot.


But what's the point of fishing then? As it is now it could very well be replaced with randomly spawned chests with 1 minute long unlocking animation. All I ask is to make it go faster or remove the color indicator so those confusing patterns have at least some effect. I don't want a fishing simulator ffs.
User avatar
DragonSlayerOrnstein
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:38 pm

Re: Fishing needs to be way harder

Postby ombra » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:47 pm

I like fishing as it is. Sure there is always a possibility to improve on it more, but the difficulty is okay. I have the feeling that fishing secret holes is "harder" than the "promising" ones.
Former Forum Nicks
Hellgate London: Pumpkinnose
Mythos: Sanguefreddo
User avatar
ombra
 
Posts: 995
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:47 pm
Location: Germany, Rhineland-Palatinate

Re: Fishing needs to be way harder

Postby Metro » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:48 pm

DragonSlayerOrnstein wrote:But what's the point of fishing then? As it is now it could very well be replaced with randomly spawned chests with 1 minute long unlocking animation. All I ask is to make it go faster or remove the color indicator so those confusing patterns have at least some effect. I don't want a fishing simulator ffs.


What's the point of anything in this game? If you want it to go faster, use the dynamite. Not sure why you keep failing to recognize that pre-existing mechanic.
User avatar
Metro
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Fishing needs to be way harder

Postby Amtemn » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:50 pm

I think the OP might be on to something here. What TL2 really needs is...

Spoiler: show
Image
User avatar
Amtemn
 
Posts: 423
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:05 am

Re: Fishing needs to be way harder

Postby Rathmaker » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:56 pm

Fishing is fine. Its a fun little distraction that nets you pet consumables and a few pieces of loot. It is something I can stop and do quickly out in the wild, or kill a little time with in town if I feel like it. It does not need to feel like a tedius procedure in which I need to spend an hour in order to fish up a handful of fish.

~Rathmaker~
Takiri wrote:YES! All praise the new Deckard Cain - Rathmaker
User avatar
Rathmaker
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:33 pm

Re: Fishing needs to be way harder

Postby pimpleberry » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:57 pm

It sounds like you might like dynamite for your fishing holes. You get less stuff but it is much faster. Plus you make an explosion!
User avatar
pimpleberry
Runic Staff
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:46 am

Re: Fishing needs to be way harder

Postby FaultyYogurt » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:59 pm

pimpleberry wrote:stuff about dynamiting fish

Awesome name is awesome.
FaultyYogurt
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:33 am

Re: Fishing needs to be way harder

Postby Rathmaker » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:59 pm

pimpleberry wrote:It sounds like you might like dynamite for your fishing holes. You get less stuff but it is much faster. Plus you make an explosion!


Explosions are cool! :twisted:

~Rathmaker~
Takiri wrote:YES! All praise the new Deckard Cain - Rathmaker
User avatar
Rathmaker
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:33 pm


Return to Torchlight II General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests