If you are having problems, try this...

Community support forum for the Torchlight single-player game.

If you are having problems, try this...

Postby JediFreeman » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:58 am

If you are having problems we're really sorry. Hopefully one of these quick solutions might be able to help you out.

1) Run in Safe Mode - go to your start menu, select the Torchlight folder and click on "Play Torchlight Safe Mode". Once you are running in safe mode, go into your settings and select a fullscreen resolution and check mark the fullscreen button.

2) Gamers Gate Problems - Did you buy it from Gamers Gate and getting the error: "The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."? Follow this link: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1286

3) Not running Well - you might want to lower the game requirements. When Torchlight starts, click on the settings button. Change your particle Detail to "Low". Change your shadows detail to "Off". Try the game out at this point. If it still is having issues go back into the settings and this time check mark the "Netbook" button. Give that a try.
Runic Games Webmaster
Forum Rules | Support Forums | E-mail Support
JediFreeman
Runic Webmaster

Re: If you are having problems, try this...

Postby rfranknj » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:10 am

Don't mind me.

C++ RUNTIME ERRORS:
- Update video card drivers.
- Do this: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1286
- Make sure you have Directx 9.0c properly installed. see http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
- Try #1 of the above post.
- If all of these things fail, make a thread, refer to this: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1449 Also, post your Ogre.log which is located in %appdata%/runic games/torchlight -- all of this can potentially help the devs / other users solve your problem.

ACTIVATION / KEYS:
Brock wrote:The activation data is stored on your machine so that you don't use up activations just reinstalling the game. If you perform a massive system upgrade (upgrading the processor, for instance) - you *may* be required to reactivate.
The keys issued for copies of Torchlight purchased from Runic or Perfect World come with 10 activations each... Use them wisely :)
(of course, if you run out of activations - you can always ask us real nice for more and we'll probably even give 'em to you!)

RE INSTALLATION ISSUES:
If you're having trouble reinstalling the game:
Brock wrote:Remove the following registry keys (if they exist)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Runic Games
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Runic Games

One (or more, possibly) of our partner uninstallers isn't properly removing these keys upon installation. Sorry about that!

CHECKPOINT SERVER ISSUES:
Brock wrote:This is most likely caused by a router/firewall issue. We're trying to nail down exactly what's causing this, but if you have some way of connecting to a different network or bypassing your router/firewall for a bit, it might be worth a shot. Hopefully we'll have more information on this soon.

LONG LOADING TIMES:
Note: I believe this is fixed in the recent patch -- these instructions are now deprecated.
ISAWHIM wrote:I have found an absolute resolution to ONE form of loading slowdown, on SOME computers.
(Tested on three separate computers with the same result. XP-Home and XP-Pro both with SP3.)

Results: Initial game loading time initially went from 56 seconds to under 20 seconds. First time level loading went from 36 seconds to under 12 seconds. Previously visited levels loaded in under 8 seconds. Exiting the game was instant, and windows did not sit there frozen for 30 seconds after exiting, while the game deleted all the virtual-files.

I do not suggest that you you attempt this unless you can clearly follow the directions.

The underlying issue:
- The entire game data is ZIPPED into a large zip file. (Seems uncompressed, as it is roughly the same size as the uncompressed data.)
- There is an issue with the compressed folder/file, which windows does not seem to like. (You can confirm this simply by trying to look inside the zip. Being uncompressed, it should be opened instantly, but there is serious initial opening lag delay. Due in part to the over-sized zip file size.)
- This is causing huge delays initially loading the game, and some undesired delays between screens and levels.

Instructions tell you how to keep the original file in question. Do not delete the original file, you will just rename it for now.

Solution:
- Go to the programs folder. ("C:\Program Files\Torchlight")
- You need to unzip the "Pak.zip" contents. (Windows will unzip to a folder called "Pak", inside the game folder.)
- Now, you have to enter the "Pak" folder, and "Right-Mouse Click" the "media" FOLDER. Select "SEND TO" and then "Compressed (Zipped) Folder".
-This creates a ZIP FILE called media.zip, which has the folder and the contents of the "media" FOLDER inside the zipped file.
- ReName this "media.zip" to "pak.zip".
- Now select that file with the "Right-Mouse button", and then select "CUT". or (CTRL+X)
- Go back into the "Torchlight" folder and rename the original "Pak.zip" to the name, "OriginalPak.zip".
- Now you can PASTE the copied file into this folder. or (CTRL+V)
- You can delete the uncompressed folder once you have moved the zip file into the location of the original zip file.

NOTES: The compressed zip file is half the size of the other PAK file. This also seems easier for windows to read into memory and extract, as this is windows native compression codex for ZIP. I suspect the other ZIP is compatible, but not a native windows ZIP compression. All ZIP files are not the same. They make zips that are simply compatible for extraction, but they are not always fast, or good. I would guess they are using a non-windows zipping tool. They should be using windows native internal ZIP functions. (Placing anything into a compressed zip-folder makes it zipped. A nice feature since Windows 98se, that few people even realized was possible. No-one ever needed win-zip, it was a windows core function.)

Seems that the game simply reads the data directly from the zip, as if it were a folder now, as opposed to uploading it all into RAM and virtual-memory, so it can translate it into a series of data that windows file-system can comprehend. I also see less memory being used by the game, and the frame-rate seems more constant for me. (Went from 23.5FPS to 42.5FPS average, except for the skeleton-delay when smashing containers now. All seems fine. Little to no regular interval lag.)
Last edited by rfranknj on Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:31 am, edited 5 times in total.
rfranknj

Postby Darien » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:35 pm

If I may be so bold?

Lost savegames:

Go to %appdata%/runic games/torchlight/save
Copy all files there to a separate location.
Before you exit the game, tab out of the window, and check to make sure all the files are present. If they are, copy them to your backup location again.

If you find your saves got lost, copy your files back to %appdata%/runic games/torchlight/save

It's a minor hassle, but it will prevent you from losing any characters while the Runic team stamps out this bug.
Darien

Postby Dyvim » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:50 am

JediFreeman wrote:...1) Run in Safe Mode - go to your start menu, select the Torchlight folder and click on "Play Torchlight Safe Mode". Once you are running in safe mode, go into your settings and select a fullscreen resolution and check mark the fullscreen button...

Is there a command line for that? I'm one of the few people that don't like MS conform programs to clutter the start menu and always delete any new folder there.
"Turqoise bicycle shoe fins actualize radishes greenly!"
Chaotic Advisor (OotS 68)
Dyvim

Postby imhttran » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:13 am

I just bought Torchlight from PerfectWorld and the installation is not working for me. This is fustrating.
imhttran

Postby rfranknj » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:12 pm

imhttran wrote:I just bought Torchlight from PerfectWorld and the installation is not working for me. This is fustrating.

Hey, it'd be helpful if you made your own topic with some more detailed information.

It'd probably be good to keep this thread clean of questions / problems, if we could just stick general faq stuff here that'd be a good idea.
rfranknj

Postby PatDH » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:01 pm

Hmm.. I tried the long loading time fix quoted by rfranknj. (I followed all the instructions properly) The game starts to load and loads up a whole lot quicker but then this happens:

Any idea what's going wrong? Got my hopes up when the game started loading like 20x quicker haha but then that happened. I was also looking forward to the possible FPS boost that was mentioned seeing as the game runs slow, although playable (just), on my PC. :(

-
PatDH

Postby moio » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:28 am

Hi

although the installation was succesful the game won't start, not even in safe mode. Placed the batch in the file already - nothing.
My system: Alienware Laptop, Win XP SP3, CoreDuo T 2700 2,33 Mhz, 2 GB RAM

Thanks for helping!
M
moio

Postby Venture73 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:29 pm

I have the exact same problem! Game loads up MUCH quicker, but now after I select my hero and click Continue, it loads for a few seconds then dumps me to the Desktop with an identical error message as shown below in the quoted post. Help!

PatDH wrote:Hmm.. I tried the long loading time fix quoted by rfranknj. (I followed all the instructions properly) The game starts to load and loads up a whole lot quicker but then this happens:

Any idea what's going wrong? Got my hopes up when the game started loading like 20x quicker haha but then that happened. I was also looking forward to the possible FPS boost that was mentioned seeing as the game runs slow, although playable (just), on my PC. :(

-
Venture73

Postby Rosso » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:45 pm

Just did this, seems to work well. <3! no errors so far... just wondering what did you use to Zip it with? winrar? if so you need to make sure you compress it into a .zip files not a .rar file which is the default for winrar
Rosso

Postby muninhugin » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:49 pm

I just wanted to throw my two cents in here. I have been following all the problems and fixes for the last few days and finally came up with solutions that worked for me based on some advice spread around the net. I had downloaded a D2D version and the game would not boot (vista system - APPCRASH on launch). I downloaded the patched version of the game from the site and did a complete reinstall. Still nada. I installed up to date graphic drivers. Nothing again. After a deal of frustration I dowloaded steam, installed the demo, uninstalled the full game and the editor, deleted the .blob files, and restarted. I had heard that it may be a D2D issue but the game would not boot.

My next though was to check the files. I right clicked on the demo and went to 'verify integrity of game cache' under local file properties. I canceled out of the verification as soon as it opened and it started a redownload/update of the current files. After this it actually worked. Great.... If I had bought it on steam.

After meticulously picking over my hard drive and destroying everything runic, aside from the steam demo, I reinstalled on a secondary backup drive. The game itself sat for quite some time, and it hung on the splash as I started to try and get it working, but it finally started up.

I understand that to install a larger user base that the game needs to be distributed across a variety of suppliers, but if each suppliers version has it's own crop of bugs how likely is it that the team can keep up with it? Hopefully as everyone keeps working at it these bugs will be squashed, but it has been a bit of a rough start so far. Hopefully your hard copy release early next year will not fall prey to such nasty bugs.
muninhugin

Postby cokey » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Hmm, I gotta try the "long loading times" fix.
cokey

runtime library C++ error...extremely frustrating!!!

Postby abeaneriam » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:16 pm

hey guys, I recently upgraded my motherboard and purchased a new ATI video graphics card so i can play games like Torchlight... the graphics look great and i experience no lag whatsoever but I keep getting a popup notice that says run time library visual C++ error and its really starting to frustrate me...does anybody have any suggestions on how to get this fixed? it seems to happen at random times too, sometimes it'll happen when a lot of things are going on and sometimes it happens when absolutely nothing is going on and im simply roaming around. i really like this game but i cant continue to play it if im gonna have to continously restart the game. please help, thanks.
abeaneriam

Postby larrypsy » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:40 pm

I played successfully last night and have 87 minutes remaining on free trial but unable to launch game tonight when I clik continue trial - all I get is notice to send error to microsoft for problem with Torchlight - please advise :cry:
larrypsy

Postby LinkD » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:28 pm

im getting the same "dont send/send" error like that guy above me, it happens when i startup the game (steam), the torchlight loading screen pops for a second then bam error
LinkD

Postby shantomken » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:28 pm

If you have problems with getting the game to load at all I found what may be a possible problem. I use a CD burning program called POweriso, for burning and loading ISO to virtual CD. I had Poweriso set to auto-mount which had it wanting to load all files associated with it, which also included .BIN files. Because the shared stash is store in sharedstash.BIN when the game started to load, Poweriso would try to load the program. This caused my game to simply crash. If you have a disk mounting program installed it may be causing a conflict with the game and causing it to crash before it ever gets started.

What I did to solve my issue was to go into the registry and search for all references to runic games. I then deleted all references to Torchlight and TorchED except the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache\Runic Games TorchED
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache\Runic Games Torchlight
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Runic Games TorchED
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Runic Games Torchlight

I then created a new folder in the %APPDATA%\ folder and moved the complete runic games folder into it so that the game did not have an initial settings.txt file or mods to try and load. Then I started the game. It took a little bit to start but the game then launched and everything was fine. After I had the game running I put all of the files from the %APPDATA%\ folder I had created back into the new runic games folder and everything was fine from then on.

I cannot guarantee that this will work for every one, but for those who are having trouble even getting the game to launch (as I was) that might very well be a solution to getting the game to run. As a reference I am running the newest game downloaded directly from runic games. It took me four days (about 50-60 hours of reading the board and another 2 two hours searching the registry - have to be careful, but I finally found this solution to get the game running).
shantomken

Postby piperky2008 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:46 am

how does the load time trick work (using steam) when the only folderinside the pak folder is the media folder

I'm lost
piperky2008

Postby DrallidCir » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:00 am

The issue I am having is that my pet no long follows along with me and no long joins me in combat. I have tried changing the settings between passive, defensive, and aggressive modes. I have completed the main dungeon and I'm am now in the Shaddow Vault.
DrallidCir

Postby LucaBrazi » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:09 am

I have the same problem like PatDH.
Code: Select all
Torchlight.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close
LucaBrazi

Postby Steinhauers » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:09 am

LucaBrazi wrote:I have the same problem like PatDH.
Code: Select all
Torchlight.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close

same need help with it
Steinhauers

Next

Return to Torchlight Win/Mac/Linux Support